Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Disabled on XP Downgrade

• Please log in to reply

NOS2006

NOS2006

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey all. I've got a Presario F500 laptop that originally came with Vista but I just downgraded to XP. I've downloaded the HP Wireless Assistant, but I can't find any type of driver to make my wireless internet connect. Can you please help?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi NOS2006
Try this
Wireless driver for xp
Cheers
Peterm

NOS2006

NOS2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks, Peter. However, I downloaded the HP Wireless Assistant last night and it tells me that my internet is DISABLED, but I can't get the darn thing ENABLED!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did the wireless work under Vista.
Have you pressed the wireless button to see if that turns it on. (I Have seen this before)
click on start right click on my computer left click on properties click on hardware tab click on device manager
are there any yellow or red marks next to network card?
left click on the + sign next to network adapters to expand it. Right click on network adapter. On the general tab
Down the bottom has device usage got Use this device (enable). If not can you chane it to enable ?
If yes click ok then click ok again. Any difference?
Cheers
Peterm

NOS2006

NOS2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I can't find what you're talking about. On Device Manager, I've got these categories:

• Batteries
  • Computer
  • Disk drives
  • DVD/CD-ROM drives
  • IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
  • Keyboards
  • Mice and other pointing devices
  • Other devices
  • Processors
  • Sound, video and game controllers
  • Storage volumes
  • System devices
  • Universal Serial Bus controllers

Listed under Other devices are:
  • Coprocessor
  • Network Controller
  • Other PCI Bridge Device
  • PCI Device
  • SM Bus Controller
  • Unknown device
  • Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

All those listed here have a yellow question mark w/ a yellow ! sign on top of it for their icon.

Also, when I hit the wireless button to turn it on, it just says "WLAN disabled"

Edited by NOS2006, 03 April 2008 - 10:09 PM.

what_the

what_the

• Pip
  • 9 posts
You should install drivers for all those ? items in other devices. The network controller is most likely whats stopping your wireless from being enabled. Also when you go into control panel > Network connections > have you right clicked the wireless and tried clicking enable.

do you get an error trying to enable it this way?

This site is free and will scan your pc for any drivers it might need, just download the ones it says you need install them and hopefully then you should be able enable the wireless connection.

http://driveragent.c...l5im7e7v3g91mr3

NOS2006

NOS2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

You should install drivers for all those ? items in other devices. The network controller is most likely whats stopping your wireless from being enabled. Also when you go into control panel > Network connections > have you right clicked the wireless and tried clicking enable.

do you get an error trying to enable it this way?

When I go into Network Connections, there's nothing to click on. No icons at all.

This site is free and will scan your pc for any drivers it might need, just download the ones it says you need install them and hopefully then you should be able enable the wireless connection.

http://driveragent.c...l5im7e7v3g91mr3

Uhh, I can't access the internet! haha

what_the

what_the

• Pip
  • 9 posts
LOL forgot about that :) - it's going to be hard to get drivers for XP for that laptop. On the Recovery discs try installing WLAN Driver manually. You will have to browse the CD to do this.

I'll post a link where u can download the xp drivers for wlan shortly (prolly 5 mins or so). You'll have to burn it onto a cd from another pc obviously and then install it.

what_the

what_the

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK here's an XP driver for the same WLAN adapter thats in ur laptop. The wireless assistant won't work until you get the WLAN drivers installed. Thats why its not showing up in Network connections as well. It isn't installed properly yet. Try downloading and installing this. If it doesn't work post back and i'll try to find another.

http://www.drivershq...17/Drivers.aspx

As soon as you have internet up and running - download the HP update assistant - it should download the rest of the XP drivers you need.

Edited by what_the, 04 April 2008 - 01:07 AM.

NOS2006

NOS2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Still nothing. It won't let me run that program w/out giving me an error. :)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
According to this thread These drivers should work. you might want to run something like Everest to identify the hardware your loading drivers for.