Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

5 svchost.exe in TSK MNG ? What For ?

• Please log in to reply

Logitek

Logitek

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I just installed my XP SP 2 a few days ago and I noticed that it takes too long for my homepage to show up in my browser. I ran Task Manager and saw that EACH DARN TIME I run Firefox or IE 7, even Opera 9 one of my svchost.exe uses 100% of my CPU and it stays that way until my homepage is shown ... Why ? I don't get it :)

Also why are there 5 svchost.exe running ?

I tried this : start>run>cmd tasklist /svc and it gives me all kinds of KNOWN programs, not viruses,worms or spyware (in my opinion)

I use Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.13, AVG 7.5 Free with auto daily updates, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2
I do not use a firewall .

My Current Specs :

AMD Duron 1300 Mhz
Acorp 7KTA(P) Motherboard ( 1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP 4X, 1 AMR )
Motherboard Chipset - VIA VT8363 Apollo KT133
384 Mb SDR ( 3 x 128 Mb PC 133 [LAT: 3.3.3.6 ] )
Western Digital Caviar 80 Gb 7200 RPM - 2 Mb Buffer ( ATA33 )
nVIDIA GeForce 4 Titanium 4200 - 128 Mb DDR 128 Bit ( AGP 4x )
ASUS CD-RW 52x24x52x - 2 Mb Buffer
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value ( PCI, 5.1, EAX )

Can you please help me get rid of the 100 % CPU/homepage problem ???

thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The applications you mentioned are large and the CPU is working as fast as it can to load them.

The service host files allot resources to other programs so that running programs don't interfere with each other and cause crashes. They are the reason XP can run several programs at a time without halting and giving you the BSOD.

Logitek

Logitek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok ... that makes sense ... I think :) although some people only have 2 or 3 svchost.exe tasks running :) :) :)

I have another few bugging issues if you can help me with these :

When I right-click a movie ( avi,mpeg,mp4 etc ) the screen flickers and turns black for 1 second before the right-click menu appears ... Why is that ? I tried reinstalling the nvidia drivers but the problem persists ... although I'm not sure the drivers I have are the best for my nvidia Ti4200 AGP8x

Which drivers are better for my GeForce 4 Titanium 4200 and PLEASE where can I find them ? ? ? on nvidia.com there are NO drivers for it because the Ti 4200 is considered a LEGACY Product ( old,outdated :) :) :) )

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Last time I was there Nvidia had a section for legacy drivers. Like a lot of companies that have made products over the years their legacy stuff is on another page or site. Some sites even have older stuff on FTP servers. I found the software for an IBM PS/1 on one of their FTP sites.

I've found that the thumbnail and preview functions can cause problems with some movie files. Try turning them off and see if that fixes your problem.

Logitek

Logitek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
couldn't find the legacy driver section :)( I fixed my rightclick-on-movie-screen-blackout by searching and DELETING the PlayOnMyPC registry key (that was set by the nvidia drivers .. fow what ? I do not know ... ) but at least It worked :) ... so WHERE CAN I FIND THE BEST DRIVERS FOR MY Ti4200 ? :)

thanks Tyger for the reply although you weren't much help :):P

:)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Here is the correct link. All you had to do was choose Legacy in the first drop down window and then choose the other items. You may want to uninstall the current drivers first. You have to agree to the terms of service to download the drivers.

http://www.nvidia.co...2k_93.71_2.html

Edited by Tyger, 05 April 2008 - 04:28 PM.