Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitoring software needed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I am looking for software that will monitor all activity on my home computer. I want to be able to see emails in and out. I want to be able to read chat messeges from instant messengers, msn and yahoo. I want to be able to see activities on myspace and facebook, at least what is being typed while on there.

I would love to be able to view my home computers activity while online at my office. Don't know if I can or not. I have DSL on the office computer but the home computer is on dial up.

Please help me
Waynesworld

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm not comfortable giving you info on what would be considered keyloggers/spyware...
why do you need this...

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I understand what kind of software it is......... there are so many on the internet....... I was just hoping that some of you on here new which one or ones were good. Thought maybe some of you have already used them.

Why do I need it? Without giving any detail........ I need to monitor my son's activity to see if some accusations being made about him or true and if they are then I need to put a stop to it before he gets into some serious trouble.

I really feel that this is the best way for me to handle this situation.

Please help

Thanks
Waynesworld

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Net Nanny comes to mind. It has been around for a while and seems to work well. pcmag has a recent review: http://www.pcmag.com...,2255002,00.asp

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
anti malware software will "see" keylogger software...the hardware style here is not seen at all..
another is here
Monitoring With Keyloggers is Easy:
KEYKatcher keystroke recorders are much like tape recorders in that: a tape recorder records sound & a Keylogger records keystrokes.

There is no software to install in order to use a KEYKatcher keylogger. As soon as the KEYKatcher is properly plugged in, it's ready to record. KEYKatcher will record every keystroke typed on your computer, including: Email, Chat, Instant Messages, MySpace Messages, Keyword Searches, and Web Addresses!
Retrieving Recorded Keystrokes
1 When you want to see what your keylogger has recorded simply open Microsoft WordPad* or any other text editing program on your computer.

2 In a new document, type your KEYKatcher password

3 After the password is typed correctly the KEYKatcher will display a menu. The menu gives you the option to play back the recorded keystrokes. The keystrokes will appear in the document right before your eyes!
tutorial is here..

Edited by happyrck, 03 April 2008 - 11:18 AM.

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
This will be used on a laptop. I know that I said my home computer. I should have been more detailed.

It is our home computer, but it is a laptop and he uses it sometimes even away from home.

Don't think I can use the hardware for keylogging on a laptop.

Thanks
Waynesworld

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
wayne, my suggestion should meet your needs. Please take a look at it.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Waynesworld

I've successfully used "SpyTech" software on laptops & PCs to record & track website, application & IM activity for parents or others looking to monitor activity on specific user accounts on their PCs. In my case, I was asked by my sister/brother-in-law to install "spyware" software on PCs to monitor the activities of their teenage kids. I've found this software to be particularly effective in that it allows you to selectively monitor the activity of specific XP user accounts.

http://www.spytech-web.com/

Understand that McAfee and/or Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security software MAY flag this software as SPYWARE - so you'll need to configure your AV/IS software to IGNORE these programs is you purchase & install them.

Installing keylogging/spyware software is an ethical issue - one that I'm not going to debate here. I DO, however, feel that if you need to monitor activity on your PC that this software will do the job.

Hope this helps.

- JJH

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok ..... could someone please tell me of a simple keylooger program or something to where i can get access to email and facebook passwords.......... I think if I could just get that then I should be able to see the info that I need too.

Thanks
Waynesworld

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Such software is illegal and could be used for far more malicious purposes, thus we cannot help you with it here.

Perhaps the easiest solution would be taking away the laptop if you think he is doing bad things with it.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
stettybet0 is correct. We have provided you with some excellent suggestions for parental monitoring software. You seem unwilling to follow our advice. We will certainly not support "key loggers". It is our policy to always remove them as part of our Malware cleaning process.

At this point I am closing this thread. If you would like to contact me regarding this issue, please feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Starjax