Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Speed 768/128

• Please log in to reply

outback_2007

outback_2007

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm wandering what's the deal with downloading, lets say game demos, and other free software from the internet, I have a 768 down, and 128 up speeds, and no matter what I download all I can muster out of my connection is 85-90 kbs. And when I used to have 5.0 speed all I ever got was around 200-300 kbs. What's the deal with this.

Seems like with a 768 down I should get atleast have of that in down speed.

I would apreciate any insite into this matter.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The difference is in bits per second versus bytes per second. A byte is defined as eight bits, so 768 translates into 96 kilobytes per second, so you are getting close to your designated speed and most providers guarantee about 85% of the designated speed which is quite reasonable.

viper151

viper151

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
still i wonder how u can get 200 kBbps with a 768 kbps line :/
A 768 kbps line can get up to 90-95 kBps.
The download speed is mesured in kBps
Watch the difference between kBps with kbps (b and B)
1 Byte= 8 bits
so if u do the maths its quite simple that 768 kbitpersecond = 96 kBytepersecond
But bcz this number is impossible to get because of noise margin etc etc of the line u can get up to 80-85 max :)

Edited by viper151, 03 April 2008 - 10:14 AM.

outback_2007

outback_2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Seems like the cable companey is a liar to me, I thought a 1.5 was a mega byte and a half, isint 1MB 1000 KB's or is it Kilo, So if I had a 1.5 MB connection really all id have is a 150 kilobytes insead of what they say 1.5 MEGA Byte.. They hype it up to make it sound faster.

Thanks I see a little more clearly now :) :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
If an ISP says 1.5 MB you should get 1.5 Mega Byte,
However if they say 1.5Mb (notice the lowercase b) you get 1.5 Mega Bit.

Above is explained how bit to byte goes so you can calculate what the actual speed would be.

Regards,
Olrik