Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

780i mobo / heatsink conflict?

• Please log in to reply

padre03

padre03

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I'm currently in the process of my first build - I bought an EVGA 780i/core 2 quad 6700 cpu bundle that did not include the stock cpu fan/cooler. Because of this, and after seeing good reviews for the Thermaltake mini-typhoon, I purchased one and now am having difficulty installing it. The angular orientation of the heatsink installation, along with the size of the footprint itself causes the typhoon to rest on some of the capacitors that are adjacent to the cpu socket.

After a brief struggle to install the heatsink (I was only able to get three of the push-pins inserted before snapping the locking mechanism off the fourth), I did a quick post to determine that the mobo, cpu, power supply and memory are in working order. When I checked the cpu temp, it started at 48, but was steadily rising. When it got to 68 degrees, I applied some pressure to the loose pin of the heatsink - the temp immediately dropped to 40, and continued to drop, until stabilizing at 36 degrees.

My question(s) is/are: Is the fact that the heatsink rests on top of a capacitor or two cause for concern, or is this nothing to worry about? The answer will determine whether I need to replace the mini typoon with a different heatsink, or replace the mounting bracket to install it correctly.

Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would replace the heatsink since this is a new computer. While you might get by with this, you are taking a chance that the heatsink may either crack a cap open thus causing the computer to shut down and not start back up because of shorting out. Or you may have computer instant shutdown problems caused by the heatsink being pulled off the CPU when it warms up and expands. Either way you have a non-working computer and they are not any fun.

You might look at this one.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835150083

SRX660