Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Limited or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Matt_57

Matt_57

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4550 desktop running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. It has the Intel integrated NIC. I am connected to a Netgear CG814GCMR cable modem/gateway. The connection stopped working suddenly after weeks of working. Nothing was changed on the computer (as far as I know). The status of the network connection shows as Limited or No Connectivity. The device manager shows that the device is functioning properly.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Matt_57,

Could you do the following for me?

• Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /release".
  • After it is done releasing. Type in: "ipconfig /renew".
  • This should renew your connection with your gateway.
This will renew the network connection and might solve the problem.
Please let me know how it went.

Regards,
Olrik

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

Matt_57

Matt_57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
See the attached file for the results of the first command.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cmd1.txt   688bytes   470 downloads

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey Matt_57,

did you also follow my instruction to do an "IPCONFIG/RENEW" ?
I see you did the /release which worked. Now a /renew would attempt to get you a new IP address.

Let me know how it went.

Regards,
Olrik

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Matt_57,

Have you resolved your connectivity issues with your Dell 4550 yet? Please let me know.

- John Hook

Matt_57

Matt_57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes. I can now access the internet. Resetting the winsock entries and TCP/IP stack did the trick. Thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know...you may save someone else with the same problem from even having to post asking for help... :)