Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restart loop during Windows XP repair

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
My Mom's PC came to a grinding halt yesterday. It was running fine then all-of-a-sudden rebooted and froze at the welcome screen just before login. I tried restarting and the same thing happened. tried booting to safe mode and the same thing again. I put the Windows disk in and tried a repair from recovery console (chkdsk /r) it took a very long time to do the check (about an hour) but it completed and said it repaired some problems. Tried booting to Windows and it froze at the same place again. Lastly, I tried doing a repair with the Windows CD. It got all the way to the section where it is installing devices and tells me that the GeForce 6200 has not passed Windows Logo testing and asks me if I want to continue anyway. I choose yes. The product key screen comes up. I enter the key and it appears to continue the repair. About 10 seconds after the key is entered the system restarts and boots back to installing devices again. It is now stuck in this loop. If I try to take the Windows disk out it tells me that Windows repair didn't finish and I have to put the disk back in. I am now stuck in this Groundhog Day situation where it keeps looping back to the same spot of the repair.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this long-winded problem?

Advertisements