Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Corrupted System Files

• Please log in to reply

ArianneG

ArianneG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently encountered problems while trying to copy CDs--i'd burn one, adn the comp would hang. I restarted the computer with reset button after trying ESC and then CTRL+ALT+DEL, then copied another CD, with the same result, and handled in the same manner.

So I wondered if I was having problems with malware, and decided to try searching for virus cleaners online. I used Trend Micro's Housecall and found twelve virus infected files(PE_MTX.A) and two Trojans (can't remember which ones). Among these I found a rundll32.exe that i thought was actually malware and cleaned it out. (Am going to restore it after somebody explained it's actually a vital component) I then downloaded AdAware SE and cleaned out the various spyware and data miners that infested the system. Then I ran System File Checker, and came up with these files that are supposedly corrupted:

fontview.exe
rg2catb.exe
rundll32.exe
rsrcmtr.exe
netstat.exe
snmapi.exe
user.exe
mscat32.exe
setupx.dll
mssip32.dll
mssign32.dll
cryptui.dll
cryptnet.dll
cryptext.dll
softpub.dll
msoss.dll

Any suggestions as to what I should do without having to reformat and reinstall everything on the computer will be most gratefully accepted.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
About these CDs, what program are you using to burn them? Are they off of your personal collection or did you use a site to download them? And, if so, what site?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
didn't system file checker offer to extract those files?

Yes, they are all important.

WARNING: SFC sometimes guesses the wrong USER.exe

There are actually two different User.exe and one will hose your system.

Do you have a windows disk? Barring that, check your drive for a folder
c:\options
c:\windows\options

Present?

ArianneG

ArianneG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Re: coachwife6
The CDs in question were from my private collection. I think that one is pirated and the other IS pirated. :tazz: ;) But they usually run without any fuss though. I'm using Ahead Nero version 5.5, I think.

Re:gerryf
No, it didn't. Unless you mean that it asked to extract the file I wanted to restore from a system disk, which I don't have.
yes, folder c:\options is there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in c:\options, do you see a setup.exe?

Here's where I am going....you could extract each of the bad files from compressed archive files in the c:\options, but that is an awful lot and it makes me concerned there are other things afoot.

A far easier solution is to run setup.exe in c:\options....this will install windows on top of itself, replacing any corrupt files and not affect your data and programs as long as you select the same windows directory that windows is currently installed in when asked.

ArianneG

ArianneG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, I don't see it. I'll run a search for it. What search terms do I use?

Um, do you mean that I install windows in the same folder with an installation disk? I dunno how one can install windows if you don't have one. :tazz: By compressed files, are those the cabinet folders/files? There are a lot of them.
Oh, BTW, in your post dated Apr 25, you said there were two User.exe files usually present. What are they? Sorry if these are stupid questions or if I seem too curious or annoying, but I'd like to know what's what before i do something permanent, and my dad screams at me for not notifying him first. ;)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there should be a setup.exe in c:\options

by same folder, I mean the windows folder

When you start setup, windows with ask you where to install windows...you should choose the same diretory that windows is currently installed in. The default is c:\windows, though I have seen c:\win98, c:\windows98, c:\98...different people will install it differently

the cab files are the compresed archives.

You can extract the files from them using the extract command or setup.exe will extract them as needed

two user.exe files
there is a user.exe that runs during the initial phases of setup; it handles the early part of setting up windows. Then user.exe takes over. This is a core process that handles interaction between the user and hardware (simplification).

One problem with sfc is that it sometimes replaces the full, robust user.exe with the 16-bit limited one, and this kills your system.

ArianneG

ArianneG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you all for the support over the weeks!
I didn't get to test out the suggestions on here as my dad took the computer off for a reformatting, (got a new OS!) so what ever it was should be cleared, but am still grateful.
Thanks, gerryf and coachwife6!