Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Save Failure?! Icon question

• Please log in to reply

inquisitive1s

inquisitive1s

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,
When I booted up my laptop tonight I was greeted with something along the lines of Power Save Failure... didn't write it down. And the small computer/screen icon is grayed out with a crossed out circle... any idea what that means and what I need to do? If anything? And if its nothing that needs to be downloaded I've stopped downloading after my last laptop crashed. Should I even attempt to restart my laptop and see if it comes up again?

OK for further info... I went to hibernate then went back in and got this in response... I really need to know what to do as it is I'll have to leave my laptop on until I get this fixed...

// BIOS VERSION 1.5
BUILD TIME: 1/23/06 11:18:52
ATI RC410MD+SB450 MOTHER BOARD (GOLDFISH)
CPU=INTEL ® CELERON ® M PROCESSOR 1.60GH
639K SYSTEM RAM PASSED
446M SYSTEM RAM PASSED
1024K CACHE SRAM PASSED
SYSTEM BIOS SHADOWED
VIDEO BIOS SHADOWED
ATAP1 CD ROM: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-8415
FIXED DISK 0 FUJOTSU MHV2080BH
MOUSE INITIALIZED

WARNING 0251: SYSTEM CMOS CHECKSUM BAD - DEFAULT CONFIGURATION USED //

Can anyone give me the steps of what I would need to do to fix this... that doesn't involve downloading anything that will crash my laptop... and hopefully not cost me money to get it fixed... [bleep] I just paid rent and a deductible from some moron hitting my car... so spending money... not on my list of wants right now.

Thanks

Edited by inquisitive1s, 03 April 2008 - 11:50 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Rebooting is never a bad thing thing to do after getting an error message.
What do you mean with with the small computer/screen icon? Is there a possibility for a screenshot?

Regards,
Olrik

inquisitive1s

inquisitive1s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
See the refixed to see what I mean... I went into hibernate to check and see and that's what I came up with as for the icon here's the screenprint if you can see it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ss.doc   97KB   9 downloads

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
If you mouse over the icon, does it give you some information about what it is?
Did you try to reboot the computer? If so, did you get error messages again?

Regards,
Olrik

inquisitive1s

inquisitive1s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No the icon is just dead... I think it had something to do with the screen saver but I didn't really pay attention. I went into the Power save option but it said to select the Toshiba Power save scheme... I checked it and its been selected. In the end I'll have to wait until tomorrow after work so if there is something wrong I have the whole weekend to work on it.

When I was looking things up it said it has something to do with the clock and stuff... yet it shows right granted its off by a few minutes from my cellphone and I had to manually update after the time change.

So I guess I'll have to let you know tomorrow.

Thanks

inquisitive1s

inquisitive1s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I haven't gone to work yet :) but if you have any ideas about how to fix this then responses/steps and ideas are welcome by the time I get home so I can write it all down and get working on this problem :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
just noticed you edited your original post.

WARNING 0251: SYSTEM CMOS CHECKSUM BAD

This could indicate a CMOS Battery being low.

Here's a link to a guide that'll tell you how to replace the battery.
http://www.computerh...es/ch000239.htm

Regards,
Olrik