Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help please

• Please log in to reply

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I just bought a new build. Built it today.
-EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz 6M 1333Mhz CPU
-OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
-EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
-Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
-Samsung 22inch monitor
-Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Bla bla bla.. Have everything else dont feel like writing it.
Any way, Everything is on here good everything looks good when on desktop.
Installed CoH(City of Heroes) and started playing.
Changed settings to 1680x1050.
Now to the problem, as I started playing: fighting, flying, running; the computer just freezes and then shuts off.
First time it happened I was like whatever its nothing. Now its happened like 4 times now and I dont know what it is.
Checked temp of Processor and all 4 cores are at an average of 58-60.
I cant seem to find the problem. Please help, its kinda pissing me off that I spent all that money for a pc that shuts off when I wanna play a game.

Advertisements

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
BTW I was checking temperature's with Core Temp. Dont know if it is accurate, heard it was good so downloaded it.

Posted Image

Edited by IVIrW4TZ, 04 April 2008 - 01:03 AM.

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
About temperatures, I can quote

According to Intel the 4 series CPU's have a upper temp limit of 73° so i think your not going to have a problem here. There are 2 temps meters in intel cpu's.

(A) Tcase is acquired on the CPU Die from the CPU Case Thermal Diode as an analog level, which is converted to a digital value by the super I/O chip on the motherboard. The digital value is Calibrated in BIOS and displayed by temperature software. BIOS can affect the accuracy of Tcase.

(B) Tjunction is acquired within the Cores from Thermal Diodes as analog levels which are converted to digital values by the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) within each Core. The digital values are factory Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. BIOS does not affect the accuracy of Tjunction.

Intel does not read T junction so you are reading the Tcase numbers. For your information, T junction is usually 5 ° higher than Tcase.

You will really notice if your CPU is getting too hot because they start throttling down in speed as they get close to the limit temp. If they get too hot they will shut the computer off to keep from frying. AMD cpu's do not do this.

SRX660

You can find that thread here

In my impression, you seem to have the right system running to be able to play games like that. PSU is good, temps aren't bad but might be better (are those stressed or idle temps?), did you use thermalpaste when putting the cooling on the CPU?

Also make sure you have the absolute latest vga-drivers for vista 64 bit matching your graphical card, found here and when I was reading a bit on their website most of their products have a 'certified vor vista' label so thats very good!

Hope this helps!

Edited by Dellica, 04 April 2008 - 05:04 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the system stable when your not running the game...try running several apps at the same time and if it doesn't hang/crash ..its the game causing the problem ...try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If you installed your drivers from the cd's, then you should go online and get the latest versions.

Next, what power supply did you get and how many watts is it?

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for reply's.. For the first reply, I have a 32bit OS, as for the first and the third guy. I did download the drivers from the EVGA site. If you would like to me try the 64bit driver I will but I havent done that.
For the third guy it is a 800W PSU.
For the second guy, everything seems to run fine on the desktop, but I will do as you say and do some virus scans and maybe a couple other things.
During the game and on the desktop there are no slow downs it runs smooth the whole just out of no where the game freezes and the computer shuts off.
As for thermal paste, I did apply the thermal paste but I will redo that if you would like.

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
As for Happyrck, I just did what you suggested, ran AIM, iTunes, Core Temp, WMP, and Windows Media Center, and I opened the last app the computer froze but did not shut off. I let it sit and nothing happened so I manually shut it off.
What would you suggest doing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try looking in the event viewer...lowdown is here...post the errors from there..

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, I tried a couple of things with the memory and the hdd, ima try it again to see if any errors show up again. Thanks for the help.

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Alright Happyrck, I just modified the memory like I said, ran somewhere from double to triple the programs that I did before, with no crash.
Now I am going to try the game :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I just modified the memory like I said

how so

IVIrW4TZ

IVIrW4TZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well figured out the problem, the heatsink I had that had 5 star reviews was meant for the core 2 duo, not the core 2 quad.. Recommended not to use with core 2 quad :)
So I bought new heatsink and ill let you know how she runs on thursday when I get it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

First off, I can see all of your system specs in your signature. Please disable all overclocking until we can get this system running stable. The Q9300 processor does not come standard at 3.4GHz.

Second, can you please list the make and model of the CPU Heatsink/Fan - you have not mentioned it yet.

Thirdly, in your signature, you have listed your OCZ RAM running at 2000MHz! Can I please have the real speed of your sticks, and also the exact model you have - a link to the manufacturer's webpage for your RAM would be good.

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: As this is a very recent build, can you please list what stress-testing procedures you have run?

Edited by troy, 08 April 2008 - 01:30 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
CPU-Z and SpeedFan will be used to Calibrate Tcase at Idle. Prime95 will be used in addition to CPU-Z and SpeedFan to Calibrate Tjunction at Load. SpeedFan will then be used to permanently monitor temperatures.

Use the following links to download and install these utilities:

* CPU-Z 1.44.2: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

* Prime95 25.6: http://www.majorgeek...me95_d4363.html

* SpeedFan Beta 4.34 displays Tcase and Tjunction: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Note 1: Prime95 - When run for the first time, it is necessary to click on Advanced, then click on Round off checking so that errors caused by instabilities will be flagged as they occur. Prime95 will expose insufficient CPU cooling and computer case cooling, or excessive Vcore and overclock. At no other time will a CPU be as heavily loaded, or display higher temperatures, even when OC'd during worst-case loads such as gaming or video editing. Prime95 can be used with SpeedFan to observe CPU temps, while stress testing for system stability. During single threaded gaming and applications, Core 0 typically carries heavier loads and higher temps than other Cores.

Note 2: SpeedFan - Very flexible and configurable, SpeedFan is the preferred temperature monitoring utility because Tcase and Tjunction can be Calibrated. SpeedFan detects and labels thermal sensors according to various motherboard, chipset and super I/O chip configurations, so the label for Tcase can be CPU, Temp 1, Temp 2, or Temp 3. Even if Tcase is labeled as CPU, it is still necessary to confirm the identity of Tcase prior to performing Calibrations.

* Repeatedly start and stop Prime95 Small FFT`s at 15 second intervals, while observing which SpeedFan temperature scales with an Idle to Load Delta similar to the Cores. This will identify the label corresponding to Tcase. Labels can later be renamed using the Configure button. See Section 11.

If a temperature shows a flame icon, this indicates alarm limits which require adjustment. Use the Configure button to set CPU and Core temp alarms to Warm Scale. If a temperature shows Aux 127, this is simply an unassigned input which can be disabled using the Configure button. See Section 11.

Note 3: TAT - The software utility (TAT) Thermal Analysis Tool at maximum settings will simulate 100% Thermal Load, which would equal Prime95 Small FFT`s at 114% Workload ~ 5c hotter. This provides the most extreme testing available for CPU and system cooling efficiency. Since TAT is coded to measure Notebook temps, it identifies a C2D as Pentium M. As Notebooks have no Integrated Heat Spreader, thermal scaling differs from desktop CPU`s, so TAT indicates ~ 2c lower, and depending on Variables, temps may be Offset by more than 15c. It is therefore recommended that TAT be used for extreme thermal testing only, and temps regarded as unreliable.