Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help appreciated. Works in Safe Mode, opens in normal mode, but can

• Please log in to reply

nanajanet

nanajanet

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
It's not about the computer I am on, but my daughter's, which is the same exact computer as mine.

She started having problems with things like her photos disappearing; can't use the volume keys on front of computer without freezing, and other odd things.

When she would try to do something it would say "not enough memory". She had only 10%, even after I removed programs. Several times her Norton came up with a virus called Bifrose or Bifrost but I could not find it in the computer.

I also noticed she was being "networked" even though we did not have the computer networked to any other. I disabled that.

I did remove one program called Otto. I hope that was not one we needed but I researched it first and thought it was okay, and if possible, could restore to earlier date to put it back on.

I decrapified her computer and took off just about every program she had loaded that she could live without. She seemed to be doing okay and then she said, "I can't get a connection to the wirless". We run both our laptops off of our wireless connected to my desktop, that I rarely use. I never have problems with mine.

I tried everything to get it to connect so I restored to two days before we removed stuff. Well, now the screen opens, stuff loads but I can't use the curser. It moves but nothing will click. I opened task manager, via ctrl/alt/delete, but could not click on anything or even use tab and enter to do anything.

I CAN open in safe mode and do stuff, but of course not all programs work. I tried doing check disk and that did not help. She does a lot of her work on her computer but just got a new job and does not have the money to pay to fix it and we can't really help her at this time.

I hate to ask for free advice but we really are in a pickle.

If you have any advice, I really appreciate it.

Thanks - Janet

Edited by nanajanet, 04 April 2008 - 08:15 AM.

Advertisements

nanajanet

nanajanet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Oh, I forgot to say, when we bought this from Dell, it does not have a restore disk and since we don't have paid support with Dell anymore, we would have to pay again to get the start up.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems that the software on this computer is so corrupted that recovery or clean install will be unavoidable. Whatever the case your computer must be dealt, first, by malware experts. Since you can only boot into safe mode and you have no internet connection, and you have no technical support that enables reinstallation of drivers, we have to deal with that first, to enable you to communicate with the malware forum.

If I understand correctly then there is a wireless router for which you connect with a desktop and two laptops. Now, all routers have cable connections at the back that enable to connect the laptop to the router with RJ45 cable connectors. Please get one of these cables (usually, when you buy a router, a cable of this kind is part of the kit) and connect the affected computer to the router. Boot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking. If successful, use the link in my list of programs to the malware forum and take all the procedures in safe mode. It's not the normal way we work but lets give it a try.

If not successful we'll try other methods to enable you to communicate.

nanajanet

nanajanet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you very much.

My friend has a friend who does this and I gave him the information you gave me. He took the computer (he does this as a side job) and will be able to fix it.

I appreciate the time you took to answer. I think we will be okay now.

I will recommend this site to others as you all do a great job.

Thanks again.

Janet

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You are welcome.