Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hide & Seek

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
This is a pretty fun game, but it's quite hard and not as faced paced. It's worth it though :)

Basically, in this game you post a specific picture taken off Google Maps (satellite of course), at http://maps.google.com (no need for Google Earth), and you give specific clues on how to get there. The clues might be anything - references to historical events, geography, and so on - just don't make it too hard. Now the hunt begins :) The first user to guess the place, needs to go to that specific hiding place, zoom out several times, and give a reference link to it by clicking the Posted Image button at the top right corner of the map. Just paste the link in your reply.

When you proved that you found the hiding place, it's your turn to post a picture and give clues, and the procedure repeats itself. If nobody manages to find the hiding place after a few turns, you can give out more clues. I'll get the ball rolling with a very easy one.

Posted Image

I'm hiding just under this fancy bridge. Looking out towards the south-east, I can see a very large tower, towering up higher than all the buildings in the area. It's a very famous tower. I don't know what it's made from, I think it has something to do with steel, but it looks pretty rusty. It's pretty nice anyway. Some architect built it a long time ago for some kind of an exhibition.

Anyway, it's a very interesting city here. The Germans were here in 1944, Napoleon built some stuff not far from here. Lots of museums and stuff 'round here. Some are even in castles! Imagine that. People also say the food is good, but I don't like it.

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Looks like an interesting game :)

THIS should be it though

The lawn on the left of the picture already did it for me as I've gone to the Eiffel Tower dozens of times :)

Edited by Suerte, 04 April 2008 - 12:16 PM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
That's right! :) Told you it's going to be easy. Now it's your turn :)

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Posted Image

This place has been a divider for america and canada since the beginning. You always here the tales of those crazy people in barrels going over the edge, and some even lived to tell their stories first hand.

Edited by Suerte, 04 April 2008 - 03:09 PM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
That would be Niagra Falls ... here

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
And your right! It's your turn :)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Well I give up ... can't work out how to copy the map. Right clicking doesn't give me the option to save.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Ya I had that problem to and I still haven't figured it out. I simply chose the location, clicked on "satellite" unchecked "show labels" (which shows street names etc..) and made a screen shot.. maybe landlord can enlighten us :)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
He, he ... I forgot about doing a screenshot ... I'll give it a try!

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
[attachment=19681:Great_city.jpg]
This harbour is often referred to as the most beautiful harbour in the world. It is located in an equally beautiful city south of the Equator. The locals are very friendly and have a somewhat unique sense of humour. The structure on the point jutting out from the bottom of the pic just right of centre is world famous and was built to resemble a series of sails.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
The city would be Sydney, and the harbor is Sydney Harbor - very beautiful indeed :)

Here.

As for your question - I just take a screenshot :) I can't believe I couldn't recognize the Niagara Falls, I've just been there this summer.

Edited by landlord, 05 April 2008 - 07:35 AM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
OK, now something harder. Let's see if you can guess this :)

I'm hiding in these fishing pools, on an island off the coast of a large country that has a nickname which has been given to it because of its shape, and has something to do with clothing. Most of you will confuse the name of this island with a famous sort of canned fish (which was actually found there). This will surely anger the locals, who have their own culture and language.

Looking around I can't see much besides a huge harbor. I only know that this city I am in is the biggest city in the island, and its commercial center, located somewhere in the south of the island.

EDIT: LOL, I forgot the picture itself. Posted Image

Edited by landlord, 05 April 2008 - 07:56 AM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
The ciity is Cagliari and the Island is Sardinia here

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts