Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Vista and installing XP, Having Problems

• Please log in to reply

roadrunner_taz

roadrunner_taz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently purchased a Toshiba a205-s6810 laptop that contained Windows Vista and an Intel ICH8M chipset. I want to remove Vista and replace with XP but the SATA drive is not recognized.

I tried to use a USB floppy to install the correct drivers at the F6 Menu and that worked up to a certain point. I could get all the way until you hit enter to install windows on your drive then I got an error that said insert intel matrix storage application into drive A: Well no matter what I put on the floppy it seemed like my laptop no longer recognized my USB.

Sooooo:

I used nlite to make a new slipstream bootable SP SP2 Disc with the correct drivers. Then used Nero to burn the iso to a disc. My problem is with this new slipstreamed disc I get an error at bootup that NTLDR is missing. My orignal XP disc still boots until I get the Error that HDD is missing (caused my no SATA drivers) so I do not understand why my new slipstream disc won't even get to that point. I cannot disable RAID in my bios either. Any suggestions??

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
This caused a lot of problems to my laptop aswell.
But once you got the right slipstream it works like a charm.

My first advice (I would really know no other, Maybe other tech staff here does.) Is to make a second (completely redone) slipstream disk.
(Unless you already did this ofcourse.)

Regards,
Olrik

roadrunner_taz

roadrunner_taz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am on about my :) 12th disc.... I know I have the correct drivers as I could proceed well into the windows installation with those drivers and the USB floppy. Possibly could be something with how I burned the ISO image but was hoping to get some advice from experts

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hmm. Just out of curiosity.
(Yes this may sound really stupid)

You do know how to burn an ISO to a CD right?
Burn from Iso
NOT
Make a Data Disk

Regards,
Olrik

roadrunner_taz

roadrunner_taz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well I am not 100% sure I know how pretty sure but yes I do know not a data disc.

I have been using CD (iso) to burn. There is something that is CD (boot disc).

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Try the following tool:
http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

Here's the tutorial on how to burn them correctly.
http://isorecorder.a...n.com/HowTo.htm

Regards,
Olrik

roadrunner_taz

roadrunner_taz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I will give that a try and post my results. I'm not sure there is any difference from what I am doing but maybe Nero has a problem. Thanks for your help

roadrunner_taz

roadrunner_taz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
For people that are having issues with nlite and slipstreaming your drivers. A problem that hung me up for awhile was when you download the matrix storage application for your chipset so it will recognize the SATA drive it downloads and exe. You can't just burn the exe file and you can't unzip it with winrar. Read the read me file (.txt) that is next to where you download the driver and it will tell you how to extract the correct files you need. It will be something like:

7.2 Use one of the following command examples to extract the
driver files from the different package types:

c:\iata_cd.exe -a -a -pc:\<path>
c:\iata_enu.exe -a -a -pc:\<path>
c:\setup.exe -a -pc:\<path>

and the files you will need are:

[OEMBootFiles]
iaAhci.inf
iaStor.sys
iaAhci.cat
Txtsetup.oem

Now when your in nlite load those drivers, it will ask you about Textmode drivers (if it doesn't ask you, you have the wrong files). You want textmode drivers for not the PNP (plug and play).

It took me awhile to actually figure out how to extract the files I need out of that .exe so I wanted to pass it on.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Any information on if burning it with this shell extension worked?

Regards,
Olrik

roadrunner_taz

roadrunner_taz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I won't be able to try for about 4 hours but will post with results

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'll be waiting here. :)

Regards,
Olrik

roadrunner_taz

roadrunner_taz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ahhhhh man this feels good. Windows XP is currently being installed on my laptop. I have never been so frustrated trying to do something on a computer before. I went through 12 CD's!!

Okay here was my solution:

I downloaded imgburn and burned the disc and it worked flawless!! Something must be wrong with my Nero (Nero 6 Ultra version) and it is even more frustrating that it was something simple like that causing my problems.

Olrik your way also worked, I was curious so I uninstalled windows and burned a new disc with your info above and it is working as of now.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Glad to be of any help roadrunner_taz :)
Feel free to hang around on the forum!

Regards,
Olrik

roadrunner_taz

roadrunner_taz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Will do, thanks again!! :)