Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Green Display

• Please log in to reply

duscarter

duscarter

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I hooked up an HP 1502 moniter to my Compaq nc6400 laptop. The duel screens work, but the display is green. When I hook up another laptop to the moniter, it works fine.

Can the connector be cleaned or replaced easily? HP and my IT dept tell me that is the problem.

Thanks,

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
duscarter,

Sounds like you may have a bad connection on one of the pins in your laptop's VGA connector. I would physically inspect the connectors to make sure there's not a pin from another cord "stuck" in the VGA connector on your laptop -OR- that there's not a missing or bent pin on the connector for the VGA patch cable that you're using to connect this monitor to your PC.

Are you using an "extension" cable between the monitor and your PC? If so, try to eliminate this and plug the monitor directly into your laptop. I've seen this problem before and it almost ALWAYS is due to a bent or missing pin in a cable or connector.

Hope this helps.

- John Hook

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
John,

Thanks for the reply! There is no extension, and the cable isn't bad becuase it works on another laptop. Can my VGA connector be bad from the factory? Is it attached to the motherboard?

Thanks,

Dustin

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You have an IT department, ask them if you can borrow another monitor. See if it still happens. Does the image change if you wiggle the connector or cord?

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It still happens on another monitor. I know it is my laptop, but IT doesn't want me to send it in for a problem not related to my job functions. Wiggling doesn't help. I will try to clean the connector with compressed air. Thanks

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
It is related to your job functions: the image is green and you can't do your work! :) The connector is part of the motherboard, and thus the motherboard would have to be completely replaced.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
duscarter,

Sounds like one of the pins on your laptop's VGA connector has come loose from the motherboard. This is not something that can be easily fixed - unless you're a TOTAL geek with a soldering iron and know what you're doing - especially NOT on a laptop!

If this is not YOUR PC - I would give you the same advice as "The Admiral" and let your IT folks handle this. If you need to be able to use an external VGA monitor on this laptop - it's going to require either replacement or repair. If it's a newer PC, it may still be under warrantee.

Anyways - the problem is DEFINATELY with your laptop - and doesn't sound like a "user-fixable" issue.

- John Hook

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The compressed air didn't work :) I am going to beg IT to fix it for me. They tell me the laptop is used away from the office, so I don't need an external monitor. Time to call in favors from my IT buddy.

Thanks for everyones help!