Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1720 SmartDisk Imminent Failure Blue screen message?

• Please log in to reply

IHATEADWARE

IHATEADWARE

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,
The power went off when I had windows running, afterwards I tried starting windows but it stopped after I login and just freezes up so I pulled the power plug and put it back in. Now when I start up the computer Windows starts to load but fails, I tried using the Repair CD for windows XP and used Chkdsk but the comprehensive test fails.
http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00480479
I really need a solution to move my files out because I cant do it with the repair disk and command prompt, then I will reinstall windows because I cant afford a new hard drive sad.gif
Please help me out,
I have a HP ZD8000 notebook out of warranty(1 yr)
Thank a lot for any information,
More Details:
I can access the C:\ directory even though my hard drive is labeled D:\
I can see the folders that exist in the D:\ drive labeled as C:\ when I type cd D:\ it still shows C:\
I tried opening folders such as cd C:\ATI but it says access denied for all the folders/files in C:\ except for cd C:\Windows
In this folder are the windows files presented and I can open these folders and files but the files I need to backup or save are stored on the desktop and I dont know how to go from C:\Windows to desktop path, I tried cd C:\Documents%20and%20settings but it says not found
I need any kind of help available to either back up the files I need or get the problem fixed.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello IHATEADWARE,

Lets get your files backed up first so you can live with a bit of security.

You can hang your Hard Drive in the computer of a friend.
Follow these steps to backup your data.

Open up your computer and take out your hard drive.
Take your hard drive to a friend and set the hard drive to 'slave' and hang it in his PC.
His PC will autodetect your Hard drive and if he goes into windows you will be able to copy your files to his Hard Drive.
Do NOT under -any- circumstances -put- files on the disk, just copy them off of it.
Once you got your files get your hard drive into your own PC and we can try to resolve this problem! :)

Goodluck! If you have ANY questions don't be affraid to ask.

Regards,
Olrik

IHATEADWARE

IHATEADWARE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey Olrik, :)

Thanks for the reply, what I did was I physically removed the hard drive and then reinserted it, powered up the computer and windows ran fine. For some reason it appears that the power supply surge caused a electric problem possibly potential or static which prevented me access to the hard disk. After grounding it and starting windows everything appears to be running normal but I have been warned that imminent danger of failure is still there so I will proceed with caution and backup my files at least.

Thanks again,
Hopefully everything is resolved for now
Max

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
If errors occur, feel free to post back here and I will help you with the best of my knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik