Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please Help - Black Screen!

• Please log in to reply

keltydog12

keltydog12

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My 3 year old was playing on the laptop - as he usually does. Was working fine. Came home from work and now the screen is black. I can't get windows to load. It gives me the progress bar and then goes black. I tried toggling through the fn f7 options - nothing. Tried taking the battery out and sit for a while - nothing. Tried a hard power down - when I re-booted I got the Windows Logo and progress bar -i hit f8 and it gave me 2 options ......hitting both resulted in the same thing - black screen. I'm incredibly frustrated and now don't care if it's an embarrassingly easy solution ........I need HELP !!!!

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
keltydog12,

When you press F8, what are you options? There should be more than 2 options when you press F8 BEFORE Windows starts loading. I would try "Last Known Good Configuration". If something your son did corrupted your Windows installation and you have "System Restore" enabled in your "My Computer" properties, this may get you back up and running.

Remember, you MUST be pressing, holding-down F8 BEFORE Windows XP starts to boot or you will NOT get the menu that I speak of.

Reply with more details and I'm hopeful that we can get you back up and running.

- John Hook

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Boot your XP CD. If you don't have one download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r

Allow it to complete undisturbed.

keltydog12

keltydog12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, from a fully powered down start up, I was pressing and held F8 before the Windows logo came on. As the progress bar was scrolling it hesitated momentarily and then went to the black screen. I closed the laptop, waited for a minute, opened and started it again and just before the progress bar came up I held F8 but it didn't do anything so I hit it again as the progress bar was scrolling and then sent me to the following message:

System restart has been paused:

Continue with system restart
Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu

I've tried both those options and as soon as I hit it the screen goes black.

Thanks for the help !!!

keltydog12

keltydog12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ztruker - thanks much for the response. Problem with this is that I am currently using my work laptop which has administrator access only for downloading or installing. Only computer I have here at the house is our laptop and, well, the screen is black !! I do have the Windows CD but I'm not sure if the one I have is a bootable cd ......

keltydog12

keltydog12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok - Hang on !! I needed to wait until after the Vaio and before the Windows Icons before pressing F8 ...... now I've got some choices. I tried the "Last Known Good Configuration" ....... looks like it's doing some things for a minute - screen goes black.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You can create the recovery cd on any computer that has a burner. Perhaps you could have a friend do it?

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
keltydog12,

Now that you know when to press F8, you might want to try "Safe Mode" - see if that at least boots Windows into Safe Mode. If "Safe Mode" won't boot, try "Debugging" mode.

Laptops can add a layer of complication in troubleshooting these problems in that they're usually configured for "Resume" mode - i.e. the PC is set to hibernate, saving it's working memory to the hard drive after inactivity or when the battery starts to go low. It's possible that when "hibernating" - the PC died while trying to save it's hiberation file to the hard drive. This adds additional possibilities of hard drive corruption to the mix.

As others have suggested - having a bootable Windows XP CD is your best bet to getting your PC up and running again. Booting from a Windows XP CD will allow you to bring up the Recovery Console, where you can run a CHKDSK C: /R - which usually fixes any errors on the hard drive which are preventing Windows XP from booting properly.

The Windows XP Recovery Console can optionally be installed on your hard drive as an option in the XP Boot Menu. If this were the case, we woulnd't need that XP CD in order to run CHKDSK on your C: drive. Once/if you're able to obtain a copy of the Windows XP Install CD, you can install the XP Recover Console as follows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

I'm probably getting ahead of myself as we first need to get you up and running in Windows XP. Again - it would help to have that Windows XP CD.

- John Hook

keltydog12

keltydog12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'll send another response once I get a hold of that cd ......again - thanks much - it's good to know that there at least might be a solution !!

keltydog12

keltydog12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can get it to boot into safe mode ..........now what to do ??

keltydog12

keltydog12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
and now it seems as if everything else is running as well !!! although everything seems to be going pretty slow ....Going to run AVG and AdAware and see if that helps get things running more smoothly ......

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Glad to hear you got it working! I would recommend going to your laptop manufacturer's website and looking for any new drivers that you might need, especially the video driver.