Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No more internet connectivity for some reason

• Please log in to reply

defender13

defender13

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I rebooted my pc and after i had done so and i logged on i was no longer connected to the internet for some reason. My connection was not sending or recieving packets and with some fiddling i have managed to be able to send packages but am still not recieving them. I have no clue what to do because hitting repair connection doesnt work and every setting i change has no effect and im really frustrated at this point in time. I am running Microsoft XP home edition SP2 and i have a RCA modem and a linksys router if that helps. I would really really appreciate help thans.

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
defender13,

You first need to check the OBVIOUS things that could be causing your lack of connectivity. Not to insult your intelligence - but have you checked all of the PHYSICAL connections between your RCA Modem, Router and PC? I would first try re-seating all of the RJ-45 network jacks to make sure something hasn't come loose. Next - and again, obvious - I would power reset ALL devices in the following order - RCA CABLE MODEM, wait.... ROUTER...wait...PC...wait. Look at the LEDs on your RCA Cable Modem - if there's an issue with your ISP or connection, you should be able to tell from the LEDs on your Broadband Modem. If all looks well on your RCA Cable Modem - try plugging your PC DIRECTLY into your RCA Cable Modem and see if you are able to connect to the Internet THIS way. If so, the problem is likely with your router.

There are MANY reasons why you might be having these connectivity issues - but you must first eliminate the obvious.

Reply with more feedback and hopefully we can help you.

- John Hook

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
the basic stuff like that i already checked. Im thinking a setting somehow got changed.I have tried to reinstall the drivers for the nvidia ethernet using the disk that came with my motherboard but that didnt work either.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
defender13,

Do you have another PC that you can test your Internet connection on your RCA Cable Modem with? I ask because you really need to determine if the problem is with your PC or with your ISP/Cable modem. If your ISP/Cable modem is the culprit, re-installing drivers and troubleshooting your PC's ethernet connectivity won't really solve anything. If you have other PC's / Internet connected devices successfully "talking" to the Internet over your LinkSys router / RCA Cable modem - this would help narrow down the point of failure with your connectivity.

Did you try eliminating your Linksys router - i.e. pluggin your PC directly into your RCA cable modem? I've never found the Windows "repair" wizards to help very much with resolving connectivity issues. If you're able to get to the Internet from other devices - then I would focus on the PC in question.

- John Hook

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Yes the internet around my house on this computer (connected to router via an ethernet cable) and my xbox 360's xbox live (connected to router via ethernet cable) work perfectly.I have strong reason to believe it it pc side because i cant ping to the router at 198.168.15.100, cant use the ipconfig/renew,lease,all commands and i have reset the modem and router countless times.I dont think the ethernet chip on the motherboard is dead because i can still send packets (recieving remains at zero).

Notes:

I have tried to renew lease using the ipconfig/renew and it says "cannot connect to your DHCP server command times out"

On Windows task bar it has the picture of the 2 pc screens next to eachother for the network with the yield sign over it and says this connection has limited to no connectivity.

I have tried both the fixes for this including the one where you patch windows and then add the file to the registry as well as the one i forgot the name to but it is along the lines of winsockfix.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
defender13,

Thanks for the info - it helps to know that other Internet connected devices ARE working and the problem isn't likely with your Linksys router and/or RCA cable modem. Based on this knowledge, here are some thoughts:

1) Check out the physical settings on your PC's ethernet hardware - i.e. link speed, duplex settings, etc. If everthing was working before and you didn't CHANGE any of these settings, this is probably NOT the issue. Still, it's good to check. Go into Control Panel, Network, right click on your "Local Area Network X" connection, go to Properties, then click on the "Advanced" button at the top. This is where you configure these settings for your ethernet hardware.

2) Check our your TCP/IP settings - same place as #1, but select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the list of network items for your local area network connection, the click the "Properties" button. Is everything set to automatic? You may want to try STATICALLY assigning an IP address that is NOT being used on your network. This can eliminate DHCP problems (i.e. your PC is not able to lease an available IP address on your Linksys router). If you need more specific help in assigning a static address, let me know.

Hope this helps.

- John Hook

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
yes im going to need help assigning a static IP. I know what they are but i dont know which are usable for my router.I did not change any of the settings in the connection until it went out and i only changed them to mimick this computer that is working properly on my network. Last night i also tryed clearning out the DNS or whatever using the netsh register register.log command and the other one as well but they didnt work.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
1 thing you can do before setting a static IP (which is sometimes a bit annoying when found in diffrent situations).
Set the Radio box back to automatic and try this:

• Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /release".
  • After it is done releasing. Type in: "ipconfig /renew".
  • This should renew your connection with your gateway.

• Go to Start -> Run.
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and copy it into your next reply.

If this fails to work i'd be happy to assist you with setting a Static IP.

Regards,
Olrik

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

1 thing you can do before setting a static IP (which is sometimes a bit annoying when found in diffrent situations).
Set the Radio box back to automatic and try this:

• Go to Start -> Run.
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /release".
  • After it is done releasing. Type in: "ipconfig /renew".
  • This should renew your connection with your gateway.

• Go to Start -> Run.
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and copy it into your next reply.

If this fails to work i'd be happy to assist you with setting a Static IP.

Regards,
Olrik

I have tried all of these commands as stated and they do not do anything.

Renew says that it cannt reach the DHCP server

I will add what the command box says when I get home though.

Edited by defender13, 07 April 2008 - 09:15 AM.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
defender13,

Are you getting a LINK light on both your PC as well as the port in which your PC is plugged into your router? Have you tried swapping out the Ethernet cable between your PC and your router with another known working cable (i.e. from other device that's NOT having Internet Connection problems)? I only ask this because before I walk you through configuring a STATIC IP address on your PC - I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure that there's not a physical connection problem between your PC and your router. Also, if you have a different FREE port on your router, have you tried swapping your PC's connection into this free port?

If none of the above is an issue - then in order to assign a static IP address on your PC, you'll need to know the IP address of your router (i.e. default gateway address that your OTHER PCs or devices are aquiring via DHCP). Also, are you able to access your router's config HTTP page from a different computer or device on your home network? This would be most helpful in determining EXACTLY what STATIC address settings you can use on your PC.

Reply and hopefully I can assist further with this.

- John

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
all fixed...I googled the problem 1 more time and I found out that someone else hade this issue with the nvidia ethernet and clearing the CMOS seeme to help him so i tried it and it worked perfectly.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
defender13,

So GLAD to here you got it fixed. Unfortunately, solving the kinds of connectivity issues you were having can be VERY involved as there can be SO MANY different things causing these problems. I too have found "Googling" for solutions to be invaluable in solving such problems since, chances are, SOMEONE ELSE out there has gone through the EXACT same problem.

Again - glad to hear you got it fixed. I would BOOKMARK the site you found with the solution just in case you run into this again. NOTHING's worse than having the SAME problem again - but forgetting how you resolved it in the first place!

- John