Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All of my games suddenly have input lag

• Please log in to reply

myrace

myrace

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I turn my computer on today to play some TF2, and notice that once every twenty seconds or so, my keyboard inputs get delayed to the point that I can remove my hands from the keyboard, and my character will still be following the inputs I put in about five seconds earlier. During these times, it completely ignores my mouse input. I blamed lag, and go to play The Hidden instead, but I get the same thing. I'm wondering if it's just online being affected, so I go to play offline Portal, and get the same thing. Then I wonder if it's all Steam games that are doing it, I pop in Halo, and get the same thing.

I restart my computer, make sure nothing unusual is running in the background, run full virus and spyware scans, and replace the keyboard, and still get the same thing.

None of my other programs seem to have this delay, I can watch video, type, surf the internet, pretty much do anything else without this delay, it only happens when I run games.

The only thing that comes to mind is my old video card's fan has been acting funny the last month or so, but I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with input or delays. So, I removed my video card, and (very poorly) ran Halo in safe mode with my onboard video. Controls responded normally, at least I think they did, the whole thing ran awfully. I tried Half Life 2 next, the thing ran suprisingly well for being run entirely on a 4 year old motherboard, and controls responded perfectly. Putting my video card back in and starting Half Life 2 again, the input delays started again. So, could it be my video card, or could it be something else? I'd like to know before I go spending a few hundred bucks on a new card, because that also means I need a new mobo, and that means I need new memory, etc. So, any ideas?

Edited by myrace, 04 April 2008 - 07:05 PM.

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Hmmmm.....I don't see why it would be the video card. Try updating DirectX here. Then update your graphics drivers. I don't know what vendor you have (ATI or nVidia), so I con't help you there.

myrace

myrace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Everything's new in my system now so it doesn't matter anymore, but for reference I figured out what it was.

For whatever reason, my Spybot's active scanner was taking up enough cpu time to halt my input. Not sure why, but closing that program fixes the problem right away.

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
OK then, glad you fixed it!!