Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot access Network Computers and Cannot Access Network Printer

• Please log in to reply

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi, I'm trying to share a printer between 2 computers.

My computer, KANOU, uses Win XP. And the other computer: a laptop, ONGBY-PC, uses Windows Vista Home. We use a Speedstream 5100 modem and a D-link switch to share the internet connection. Also, on both computers, Windows firewall is disabled 'cos the hardware firewall is already in use.

The printer I want to share is named MP_130 and the local network name is WONGHOME. For Kanou, I was able to successfully configure the printer so that it could be shared. For ONGBY-PC, here's the problem. I managed to connect the laptop to the network and am able to see both ONGBY-PC and KANOU on the local network. However, when trying to add a printer, I'm unable to detect MP_130.

For folder sharing: For Kanou, under Network, I’m able to see everything shared under “KANOU” and “ONGBY-PC”. I’d followed the “File and Print Share Setup” tutorial but had to skip some steps (36 to 40, 47, etc.) ‘cos either the mentioned tabs, settings, etc. weren’t present or I couldn’t figure out what they were saying.

However, for Ongby-pc, I can’t seem to access Kanou and am stuck ‘cos I’ve no idea how to properly configure Windows Vista. When I try to access Kanou, I get this message: “\\Kanou is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact admin of this server to find out if you have access permission.” I tried enabling Guest account(with access: Remote Desktop Users) as a possible solution but that didn’t work.

So, is there anything I can do?

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi Chicken mania,

Could you describe to me how the devices are connected with each other? Any switches, wireless/wired routers?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Chicken mania
You have not told us where the printer is connected. is it connected to the XP machine? I assume but one should never assume. if it is then on vista machine

Go to printers - Add Printer.
ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 18 April 2008 - 07:11 PM.