Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows in 'unsuccessful start' loop after installing Java upd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rawfunk

rawfunk

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello G2G, I wonder if you can help me. I really hope so.

Yesterday my PC's functionality broke down swiftly, in retrospect after I'd installed a Java update. On Gmail, Firefox brought up a suspect-looking dialogue box informing me that 'Plugin performed an illegal operation. It is strongly advised you restart Firefox'. Restarts didn't help. Never seen this before. I immediately ran AVG, which found some framer viruses (/.Z) and deleted the files. I ran SUPERAntiSpyware which reported my system as clean.

Then Excel crashed, and crashed every time I restarted and tried to do anything.

iTunes seemed to be corrupt suddenly.

So I tried to shut down, but there was no response. After leaving it for an hour or so, I powered off manually.

I now get the 'Sorry for the inconvenience...' loop as described here: http://www.annoyance...nxp/t1021829674

Safe Mode doesn't work, and neither do the other options.

I'm posting here because it seems like the work of malicious software.

Please, can anyone give me some advice?

Thankyou

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm this look different. Have you tried a repair install as you do not appear to be able to much else. We have a good tutorial here http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html If you do manage to do a repair install then post back here with a Hijackthis log to start with and I will see where I can go from there

rawfunk

rawfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for your reply Essexboy.

I tried a repair install but my C drive wasn't there - just my LaCie, which I still had plugged in.

I'll try again using the guide you've linked to (can't hurt...) and see where that takes me.

rawfunk

rawfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Nope, no drives showing, just two 'Unknown's.

I'm guessing opening it up is the only option...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Can you get into the bios and see if it recognises that the drive is there

rawfunk

rawfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry - how do you do that?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What is the make of your computer ?

rawfunk

rawfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
It's a Shuttle XPC SN85G4

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
:) Hm I can not find the bios command for that - but they are usually the delete key

When the computer starts after you hear the post beep then press the delete key this should bring up your bios setup screen
There are a series of pictures here to show the varios screens and commands http://www.computerh...lp/phoenixa.htm
You need the standard cmos features section
This will show whether your drive is being detected if it is then you will apear to have lost the formatting for the drive

Could you come back and let me know if the drive is being detected

rawfunk

rawfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the continuing help Essexboy.

My drive isn't being detected. The only drive detected is my DVD-RW drive.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Unfortunately we have now reached the limit of my hardware knowledge. It looks like the download and the drive failure were a coincidence. If your bios is not detecting your drive then you will need the help of an expert

If you could post in this forum and let them know what you discovered from your bios investigation then they may be able to help you

http://www.geekstogo...pherals-f9.html

Sorry I could not be of more help

rawfunk

rawfunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for your help Essexboy - much appreciated. I thought it may be too serious but it was worth a shot.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.