Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive clunking

• Please log in to reply

thermos

thermos

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,
I bought a Sony Vaio SZ laptop a couple of weeks back and had a problem with the hard drive making a strange clunking noise when idling. Sometimes it's just occasional, but sometimes it happens every few seconds. Sony replaced the laptop (there were also some other problems), but I've just received the new one, and it's doing the same.

The noise sounds almost exactly like this:

From reading around on a few forums, I'm pretty sure that the noise is coming from the hard drive heads parking. Seems to be something to do with the agressive power management, but I've tried tweaking my settings and it doesn't make any difference.

There's some software called hdapm which sometimes fixes the problem on macs, but I haven't found anything similar for Windows.

I guess I need some way of stopping the heads from parking, or stopping the hard drive from being accessed so frequently when idling.

Can you help?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've heard of this problem. It's the hard drive's own software and only happens with certain brands and models of drives. It can cause the drive to die prematurely. You may be able to find a software update at the Sony site, or the Windows site which will override this feature and solve the problem.

thermos

thermos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for that Tyger. Not having any luck finding software fixes at the moment, but will keep looking...

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
There's a fix in Ubuntu.... But that probably wouldn't be much help, would it? :)

Edited by The Admiral, 05 April 2008 - 12:57 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the hard disk installed in your laptop is made by Fujitsu have a look at this link. Fujitsu created a feature in the BIOS that enable the hard disk to work in silent mode. This change the way the read/write heads move, sacrificing some speed but silencing the noise. The option has to be activated in the BIOS.

thermos

thermos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for that. Unfortunately my machine doesn't have a fujitsu hard drive. In fact, I'm not sure what make it is - the manufacturer just shows up as 'Hybrid Hard Drive'. But anyway, I had a look in BIOS and couldn't find any 'Hard Drive Silent Mode' option...

Sony don't seem to have any software fix for this either.

I gather some mac users managed to fix the same problem by running a programme which keeps the hard drive busy enough to stop the heads from parking (http://kiza.kcore.de/software/declunk/), but I haven't been able to find anything similar for windows.

Does anyone have any other ideas?