Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed to Query TCP/IP settings...

• Please log in to reply

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My first post here :)
HELP ME! Ok, I hate vista so I switched back to XP and forgot to back-up the files on Vista. When I finished formatting XP, I tried to get onto the internet, it didn't work. So I looked at my network places and noticed that there wasn't a Local Area Connection. So, I tried to repair the 1394 thing...I get this message "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed." I've tried everything on all the other websites to fix this problem. Last night I've been surfing around google for answers for around 3 hours. I tried everything. Nothing has worked. Here is a list of what I've done.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset log.txt
WinsockFix
Reinstalled TCP/IP
Reinstalled network card drivers
Ran a system recovery
Did a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition

And none of the above has worked...I'm using my labtop right now and the internet is working just fine. No disconnections nothing. Smooth internet. But when I use the internet with my main computer, it just doesn't work. Please help!

Things I've found with Exclaimation marks beside it.
-Ethernet Controller
-PCI Device
-Video Controller
-Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Edited by ForeverAZN, 05 April 2008 - 01:27 PM.

Advertisements

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Please help guys, I'm still here.

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Help. Please..I really need the help. Still surfing Google for answers...Please help!

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
PLEASE HELP GUYS I REALLY WANT TO START USING MY COMPUTER AGAIN =[

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Please help...C'mon guys I know you guys know how to fix this...

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Oh guys...I just found something. There's a yellow exclaimation mark on top of "Ethernet Controllers." What should I do?

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello ForeverAZN,
As a reminder, it's unnecessary to continue spamming your own topic, you will receive help when people can get to your post or if they have a possible solution for you problem, always remember that patience is a virtue. Also, before you post your problem in the forums, it would be wise to do a simple search in the search box provided on this forums, because you may find the answers your looking for without the need for posting a new topic.

With that note I'd like to ask you a few questions on your problem:

2) Is your computer connected to the internet via a wired( if so, is it onboard) or wireless connection?

3) Have you installed and update the drivers for you NIC card (if wired) or your wireless adapter(if wireless)?

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The cable and stuff is in the computer. Like, it says I have 400 Megabits per second but I'm not sending or recieving any packets. I'm using my labtop right now... But the main computer, the internet isn't working. I've tried everything listed in post 1. The internet for the computer was working just yesterday before I made it XP again.

Edited by ForeverAZN, 05 April 2008 - 12:45 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The cable and stuff is in the computer

does not help us or you.

You did not answer the questions given to you. And you were in such a hurry.

You need to find and install the ethernet controllers.

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
What am I supposed to do? I don't know where and how to update/install the ethernet driver. In the device manager, it says that I only have the 1394 thing there... Nothing else. I don't understand why it isn't working. The internet was working fine before I reformatted the computer.

Edited by ForeverAZN, 05 April 2008 - 01:25 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
1394 is firewire. This will most likely not be your ethernet.
Asking again!!!!!
Are you wired to the ethernet? or wireless?
Is it DSL, cable, or dialup.

Have you repaired the yellow explanation mark for the controller?
You will most likely need the motherboard cd. Or you need to find out what board it is.
Use the everest or belarc in my signature.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Have you installed your Chipset drivers, motherboard drivers or possibly network drivers?
Remember that after a format the Computer does not know how to use the diffrent pieces of equipment until you tell them how (By installing drivers.)

I suggest you go fish out the CDs that came with the Computer and install them.
Also yes please be patient as some of us are maybe in a diffrent time zone or not hang 24/7 on the forum.

Regards,
Olrik

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok I'm cable sorry for misunderstanding I know very little English...Sorry. I'm Cable and the yellow exclaimation for the ethernet is not gone yet. I have everything installed properly. As I said before, Everything was working before I reformatted Windows XP.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
"Before" yes, thats right :)
After you reformat you loose all your data including the drivers that you need to reinstall

Regards,
Olrik

ForeverAZN

ForeverAZN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Really? So what drivers do I need to install again? And how do I do that without the internet? Can I shove the files onto my MP3 and transfer it over?