Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue screen and can't boot to safe mode

• Please log in to reply

mickeru

mickeru

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I was installing windows updates and the computer froze, I didn't have a choice but to reboot. Now when it comes up I get the blue screen with STOP: C0000135 {Unable to locate component} This application has failed to start because Winsrv was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. I have a Windows XP reinstallation CD but I cant get the computer to read from the CD. I've tried to boot in safe mode and still the blue screen. I've tried to have it read from the CD but the drive light will flick once or twice and it continues to the blue screen. Any suggestions?

Sparky

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
possible fix is here...post # 2

can you get in to your bios...if so set the boot order to the cd drive first...
no joy...
if you can't boot into safe mode then you will probably have to repair xp...the lowdown is here...
you can slave the hard drive to a working computer to get your data backed up...just to be safe...

OR YOU CAN TRY PUPPY LINUX...
puppy will load and run totally in ram...

get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its puppy linux
3. Select the ISO file
4. Suggestion ==> Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...then drag the window to the
right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to

the narrowest you can..drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmounting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Edited by happyrck, 05 April 2008 - 11:58 AM.

mickeru

mickeru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I changed the boot order to have the CD drive first and that didn't help, it didn't boot from the CD.

Haven't yet gotten a chance to try using puppy.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
puppy won't work if you can't boot from the cd drive...set the boot order and SAVE the settings ...usually F10 but read the screen to be sure...put the cd in the cd drive and reboot..

mickeru

mickeru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I did change the boot order and saved the settings, put in the CD, restarted the computer and it didn't boot from the CD. THe CD drive light flickered a couple times and then windows proceeded to load, and then the blue screen reappeared.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then the cd drive or the cd drive cable is bad...

mickeru

mickeru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Good news, I took the cover off and cleaned out the dust bunnies and also unplugged all the connections while I was cleaning and plugged them back in. Reattached all the cables and it booted from the CD. I was able to repair windows and we're back up and running.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sparky.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...glad you got it running again... :)

sdfor

sdfor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A similar technique is:

Find another machine that works and create a Linux bootable CD with a version of Linux that let's you see the c drive and any USB hard drives or flash drives you attach, and the you can copy the files to the USB drive

I downloaded an image file of a cd bootable version of Linux:

http://www.slax.org/get_slax.php

and I burned the ISO onto a cd, using this iso burner:

http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download

when you boot with it, you can see the C drive and copy any files... along with lots of other things. You donít have to know Linux itís uses a graphics front end like windows.

Incidentally, With Dell computers control f11 on boot up will get you to the recovery partition and even though the abbreviated boot program doesnít allow you to attach an external drive to copy the c drive files, it does allow you to attach to a network and copy the files.

I saw this at:
http://davidtyme.blo...-cant-boot.html