Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security update (KB947355) needed? (For MS Office 2003)

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I have recently installed Windows Word Viewer and PowerPoint Viewer with the security patch updates but MS keeps asking me to install the security update for Windows Office 2003 (KB947355) but as I don't have Win Office 2003 I suppose there is no need for this patch (it's quite large) - necessary or no?

Would appreciate any views.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The viewers are considered part of Office 2003 even though you don't have the physical Word and Excel programs on the computer.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Neil Jones - thanks for your response.

As I had three separate alerts for each, Word Viewer, PowerPoint and for the Office 2003 (I know they are connected/related)I thought it was assuming I had Office 2003. My question really is, 'is the security update for the Office 2003 absolutely necessary?'

If so why give separate alerts?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Let it install, keep it happy.
Sometimes with some updates it's just easier to install it regardless of whether you think you need it or not.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Digging a bit deeper (not that much actually) MS says that the security update for Office 2003 applies to that program and doesn't mention the viewer parts. Also it says 'To install this update you must have the following, Office 2003 SP2 or SP 3'

So it seems I don't need to install that update. Hope I'm not wrong. :)