Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp system repair cannot copy files

• Please log in to reply

Xav

Xav

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all

I am running a pretty old Dell Dimension 4550 with 512mb of RAM, a P4 2.20ghz processor and windows XP pro

The other day i tried to start up my pc and it worked up until the windows XP loading screen where the bar was moving but it stayed there for ages. I tried to re-boot it but the same thing happened. I have tried to start the computer is safe mode but nothing happens, the screen goes dark and thats all. I have a reinstallation CD which came with the PC i have tried performing a system repair as shown at http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html . I can see and navigate through all the options it is only once it starts that i am told that windows is unable to copy files. The first being hid.dll, i try to skip to the next one but that one cannot copy either. None of the files can be copied. I have cleaned the disc and even tried a disc from another dell but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Xav

Edited by Xav, 06 April 2008 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Xav...

Sounds like bad RAM. Does your machine have a single 512MB module installed or two 256MB modules? If there are two modules, remove one module and try the install.

If you'd like to run diagnostics on the RAM, download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and create the disk as described in the Quick Start Information section. Boot your machine with this disk in the drive and let it run a minimum of four complete passes. This should give you a pretty good idea if your RAM is good or not. To stop the test, remove the disk and press the X key (or turn the machine off).

wannabe1

Xav

Xav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I have one stick of 512, it is DDR 333MHz.
I completed the tests and no errors were been found, the RAM seems to be fine according to the memory diagnostic.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Xav

Edited by Xav, 06 April 2008 - 02:01 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of installation disk are you using? Is it an OEM version that came with your computer? A retail version purchased separately? Is it a copy of one of these?

Is the disk clean and free of scratches? How about the optical drive...is it clean?

Xav

Xav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi
It's OEM, it was shipped with the system and the disc is clean and scratch free. I don't know about the drive, but i've never had problems with it before. How do i check?

Xav

Xav

Xav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Today i managed to get to the safe mode options by pressing F8 when windows starts. I tried starting windows in safe mode and in Last known configuration but for both the screen stayed on but it just turned black.

Any ideas?

Xav