Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

To routers wont talk?

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Hey,
This is my current setup, I have a broadband line in going in to a Firewall modem. This has 4 Lan ports on the back which one of has a LAN cable going to the A Wireless Router/ with four LAN Ports on the back. 2 Computers and a netwoprk storage is then plugged in to this.

This has all been working fine until recently when, my internets been dropping out (Problem with ISP)

To sort this i have to unplg the power and plug it back in five minuets later

This was fine but then i noticed the lights on the front of the modem was flashing as if it had connection, but then going blank

This then ment I could not connect to the interent all at all being connected to the wireless router but if i plug the computers in to the Modem, they work fine on the interent (so its not problem with ISP anymore)

If i keep unpluging the power and plugging it back in quite a few times, it wil finaly work

I have RIP eneabled on both routers

Anyone help??

SpuD

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello ==SpuD==,

Have you installed the latest drivers and firmware for the firewall modem and router?

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Thanks for your reply

Yep they both have the latest firmware (Just Checked them both)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like the modem is failing...contact your isp...
in the meantime try this...
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Thanks for your response :)

i have managed to fix the issue by chanigng the RIP settings to Direction: 'Both' and Version: '2M'

It seems to work okay now

thanks for your help anyway!

SpuD :)