Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well first off this is a custom built computer, it has worked alittle over a year now no problems. Up until this morning my fiance told me it randomly cut itself off. Now when I tried to turn it on, it started up then 1-2 seconds later it turns off. Then after that it won't even respond when I push the power button. After messing around awhile I think it could be the power supply. How ever after pulling the plug out/back in it repeats what I said about cutting off 1-2 seconds later after turning it on. Now I have my doubts about it being the power supply. Any help is a greatly appreciated as always. Thanks.

Specs-
850w rosewill extreme ps
8800 gts 640mb
e6600 c2d 2.4ghz / OC 3.2ghz
intel 975bx2 mobo
a-data ddr2 800
2 320gb western digital sata raid1 setup 7200rpm
cd/dvd combo burner
basic cd rom

PS. I'm using ps3 to type this up so it took me awhile.

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Is this a laptop or a desktop?

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
desktop pc

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Have you tried simply using another standard power cord for the desktop? Commonly, problems like such arise simply because of a bad connection.

kewofkrew

kewofkrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes i have tried that but to no avail.

edit:
I have taken the whole computer apart and put it all back together again. This time it turned on with out shutting off but with no post (CPU led/red light came on by CPU fan). I try to reboot it and it repeats the whole shut off withing 2 seconds. Now I can assume it is not the power supply but possibly my processor. :)

Edited by kewofkrew, 06 April 2008 - 01:57 AM.