Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download issue?

• Please log in to reply

JNye1964

JNye1964

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Whenever I try to download something like fulltilt poker, I'm told that it is downloading it into a temporary folder then it will not automatically start the install process, so i've tried saving it to a different file and opening that way, but it is called an IFW file, not familiar with this, and I've never had this problem before.

Could someone please help? :)

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
What browser are you using?

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry, windowsxp

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
No, not operating system, web browser - like firefox.

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Internet Explorer 7, sorry

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you click on the Download now (red button) you should be downloading FullTiltSetup.exe, at least that's what I got when I just clicked on it.

Most likely some security setting in IE7 is blocking you from downloading it. I'm not an IE7 user so can't be of much help as to what setting, hopefully someone else can.

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yep, that is how it used to work. I don't know what happened or how to fix it. So if anyone out there has any ideas, I am running windows xp with internet explorer 7.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
As a work around (actually a good idea in general) you could install FireFox and try the download using it instead of IE7.

What Anti-virus / Spyware / Firewall are you using? Perhaps one of those if interfering?

I'll ask for a tech who uses IE7 to stop by and see if he/she can help.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi JNye1964 and Ztruker,

I just had a look, using Firefox, and then IE 7.0.
In both cases, the download that I was offered was identified as:

FullTiltSetup.exe

I didn't pursue it any further, nor complete the download, so may not be of much more help, without further information.

IFW (file type) is sometimes referring to "Image File Wrapper" and relates to a secure download procedure used by government offices.

Doug

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you, have reposted to ie7 forum, maybe can get some help there. It's driving me crazy. :)

Advertisements

Jacob L

Jacob L

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You might benefit from having a look in your C:\Windows\ folders that are named below:

Downloaded Programs
Downloaded Installation Files

If "fulltiltsetup.exe" appears in either one of those folders, you might try deleting the file "fulltiltsetup.exe" and then attempting the download again.
Leave the other files and the folder untouched.... only delete the "fulltiltsetup.exe" file if it appears in one of those folders

let us know if that clears your situation

Edited by Jacob L, 07 April 2008 - 08:00 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I had a quick look using Internet Explorer 7. The file I was offered was called FullTiltSetup.1.2.D0D17.efw and it was 17.9MB in size. The type was "UmxAttachmentFile".

While it may very well be a legitimate program, judging from the differences we've all recieved, I would stay away from this type of program/download.

If you really want to play poker, head on down to your local pub tournament. Don't risk your computer's security with these kinds of programs - especially if it requires entering your credit card details... :)

That's my two-cents worth...

Cheers

Troy

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The problem is not fulltilt poker, the problem is downloads, when downloading it says downloading to temporary file i've searched for this file and am unable to find it, so i try to save it to a different file and it saves it as an efw file whatever that is, it also doesn't start auto, it is this way with all downloads, i've tried downloading from cnet and it is the same issue, i'm pretty sure that it has something to do with download management but I don't know where to find it in ie7.

thanks again :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Well, one resolution is to uninstall IE7. Doing so will revert to IE6 which did not have this problem. Probably not the best solution though as IE7 does have significant security enhancements (though some get in the way as this one seems to be doing).

I'll go ring the bell again for more help ... hang in there.

As a test, please install FireFox, see if that works correctly. Before you do a download after it's installed, click on Tools then Options and check the Always ask me where to save files box.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi again JNye1964,

I've browsed through the IE 7.0 Command line options and settings.
I've browsed through the IE 7.0 - Tools - Internet Options

I only find options for how to handle "temporary internet files", which are not specifically what you are referring to in your topic of how "downloads" are handled.

When I select to Download, I get a "yellow" information bar and a nuisance screen asking if I see the "yellow" information bar

I click "yes" to indicate I've seen the information bar.
Then I go to the information bar and select - Download.

Next, a SAVE - RUN - Canel - panel appears (I select - SAVE)
Next, a SAVE AS (windows explorer) screen appears, where I can select the location I'd prefer to save the Download.

I highlight the Folder I prefer to SAVE into, then select the SAVE button.
_________________________-

I have not encountered the "efw" observation that you mention.

It is curious to me that your IE 7.0 is defaulting to save into a Temporary Folder location instead of allowing you to select a more permanent Folder location of your choice.

If you are willing to take the time for a practice run at downloading....
Please consider downloading Everest Home Edition 2.20 from MajorGeeks.
Everest 2.20 is a known-safe utility of good quality that creates a full inventory of your machines hardware components.
You might even like it and enjoy using it.
You'll see it recommended periodically to assist in identifying PCI devices and related Driver download links.
It also have a rudimentary Temperature and Voltage monitor that is often "good enough" to identify heat/voltage related problems. At least good-enough to rule-out a problem and/or provoke additional investigation.
But I digress.

Go to http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html
Select from any of the download source locations, and proceed through the process of downloading this utility.
The file name that is downloaded is: Everesthome220.exe --- it is an "application" and its file size is 3.98mb

Walk through the download.
You should encounter all the same "steps" that I listed above.

If your experience diverges from the "steps" above, please let us know where/when and what appears differently.

Best Regards