Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPGRADE MY RAM [HARDWARE]

• Please log in to reply

timothy lee

timothy lee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My pc is GQ5090, runs intel celeron D 2.66Ghz, 128MB DDR RAM, and motherboard chipset is SIS661FX. I'd been received pop up message that my virtual memory is low. So I decided to upgrade my RAM to 1GB DDR Ram/400Mhz. I could see a faster processing speed in my pc performance at first. But when I boot up my pc on the second usage, my computer system all of a sudden went into rebooting mode and the problem persisted repeatedly after every 5 minutes. Then I went ahead and reformatting my drive. During the formatting process, it stopped and gave me a message that there is a corrupted cell in my memory, but I went ahead and proceed on with formatting process, and it stopped again and again giving me that same message. So I replaced my new 1GB RAM with the old 128MB RAM, and the formatting process gone smoothly to a completion.

So I have 3 questions that hope to get answer are:

1. How do I determine what maximum capacity of RAM my system need?

2. What speed of Mhz RAM is compatible with my system, 200MHZ, 233MHZ, or 400MHZ?

3. If there is a corrupted cell in RAM, how do I erase it?

Anyone to help answering my question is greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

1: Go to www.crucial.com and search your system. They will tell you what you can use. The maximum amount is determined by the manufacturer. Go to their website and search your system for that info.

2: Again, need to know what your system is exactly: Dell, Acer, HP, etc and the model number. Once more, crucial.com can give you that info.

3: If you have bad ram all you can do is junk it and get new stuff.

Murray