Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Large windows, large letters... no sound... Help

• Please log in to reply

patty26

patty26

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I reinstalled windows xp on my pc today, but I've been having some trouble with some stuff, like the letters are huge, also the windows... I looked for the color resolution but there's only one option "medium 16 bit" and size "640 by 480" ... how can I change that, do I have to reinstall another video card? Also, I have no sound... or sound controls... my ethernet card's gone... i had to connect through USB... it's a mess... If you can help me I would REALLY appreciate it!
Thank you!

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Go to the microst website and do a windows update!

You have this problem because your computer has no drivers for the Sound / Driver card

If the microsoft update dosent fix it (all though it should) go to your sound / video card manafactures website

Hope this helps

SpuD

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Patty & SpuD,

Maybe I can give some advice that worked for me. Patty, may I ask who made your PC? ex-Dell,HP,Toshiba,etc...

Thanks,
Cam

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Sounds like you need to install the hardware drivers for your PC. They usually come on a disk with the PC, they are also usually available on the manufacturers website.

If you post the make and model of the PC I could try to find some drivers for you.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 18 April 2008 - 03:41 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Sounds like you need to install the hardware drivers for your PC. They usually come on a disk with the PC, they are also usually available on the manufacturers website.

If you post the make and model of the PC I could try to find some drivers for you.

That's what I was thinking. If Patty has a Dell they have listed on thier site all she has to do is enter her Express service code, and most there PC companies offer that feature. If Patty provides us with the right information we can just find here drivers for her. However I do think we should have Patty take a screen shot of her Device Manager to help assist us in finding the drivers.

To take a screenshot, and how to access Device Manager:

The device manager allows you to see what drivers are installed all the components on your PC. If your missing a driver the component your missing the driver to will have a red X on it.

To access device manager:
Click on Start, then right click on My Computer and click Properties
now you should be at this screen:
Posted Image

Please click on the Hardware tab.

Now click on Device Manager, image below:
Posted Image

All of us helping you need to know what drivers you need by taking a screenshot of this and providing information about your computer we can provide you the links to download the driver.

Note:
Drivers are what help your system communicate which will FIX all the symptoms you listed above. The drivers are VERY easy to isntall all you do is open them and install them like a program install (:

To Take a Screenshot of Device Manager:
Once your looking at the device manager press the "prnt Scrn" (a.k.a. Print Screen) on your keyboard, usally at the top by your F keys.

Once you've pressed the Print Screen button, what that did was take a picture, or screen shot of what your looking at on your PC.

To view the screenshot, and post it on the forum to let us see it.

First, go to start now click run type "mspaint" (this will open Microsoft Paint).

Once Paint is open, at the top; click edit then click "paste".

Now to get it here so we can see it!

Finally, click File in paint (at the top) and click save now name the image as devicemanager and save it to your desktop.

To get on site:
We are going to need to upload your image to a image hosting site to be displayed here.

To do this, go to http://tinypic.com/ and when you reach it click browse and navigate to your Desktop and select the image we saved devicemanager finally click upload.

Now it will give you a URL.
Posted Image

Copy and paste the URL it gives you for Direct Link for Layouts now come back to this forum and post a reply and click the Posted Image at the top of the post editor located Posted Image it will ask for the url of the image we uploaded, paste that url you copied into the field and press okay.

Now we can see what you need, don't forget to tell us your model and make like ZEUS_GB was saying.

Edited by CamTheMan, 18 April 2008 - 04:41 PM.