Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD writer won't read CDs anymore

• Please log in to reply

phantomas

phantomas

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I have a Benq CD burner since 2003 and it has worked fine until a few months ago, but now the only thing I can do on it is burn CDs. It doesn't read them anymore. I mean it will read a store bought CD, but no burnt ones anymore. For example, I burned some photos to one of my disks and when I put it in the drive it recognised it, but when I did so again later it just flashed the disk cursor a couple of times and nothing happened. I use Nero 6 for burning CDs.

I've checked the driver with Device Manager and nothing appears to be wrong with it. All I can really get from it is that it's an ATAPI CD-R/RW 48x16. I've checked the BIOS too and the CD drive is the first of three to boot up.

I've also reinstalled the driver, used a lens cleaner and different CD-R brands, but that didn't change anything. I don't use the drive a lot and the maximum speed that I burn my CDs to is 12x.

I'm not sure if the actual drive is faulty, or if I'm just missing something. Can anyone help me out with this cause I really don't want to buy a new one right now? Thank you.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like there's a bad reading diode, or other hardware problem. Can you download any diagnostic software from the Benq site and run it? That would be my first choice of action.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take a disk that you've burnt on that computer to another computer. if it can read it, your burner needs replacing. They're cheap these days and now you can get DVD Writers for exactly the same price.