Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Goosed motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

MickL

MickL

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I think my motherboard is goosed/fried - hopefully someone can help besfore I burst into tears!!!!! :)

Heres the situation......

My ususal hardware set-up is as follows:

I've got 3 hard drives installed; 1x120gb SATA for the operating system (XP pro), 1x60gb IDE for all of my standard data (Word docs etc) & 1x80gb IDE for 'entertainment' (where I rip my music to for my ipod & storing photographs).

A couple of days ago I got a read/write error to the 'entertainment' drive as I was trying to play some music. I then tried to open a file from my 'data' drive but got a message saying that the disk structure was corrupt & unreadable.

I've spent the last couple of days trying to access the two IDE drive but to no avail so initially assumed that both had failed at the same time

Today I've tried to access a floppy disk in my PC but getting no joy with that - I don't get anything, not even the 'click' that a floppy drive usually makes as it starts.

I've checked to see if it was a PSU issue (by using a brand new PSU that I've got) but it doesn't appear to be.

I've also checked to see if its a hardware problem with the floppy drive by using a floppy that 100% works & get the same 'non-event'.

I've changed all the ribbon cables between the motherboard & the 2 IDE drives & the floppy and am now getting frustrated! :)

When I enter BIOS, it recognises that the SATA, IDE & floppy drives are connected.

The SATA drive works persectly (enabling me to submit this post).

Because of the situation that I've just discovered with the floppy drive I was wondering if the two IDE drives are still ok (fingers crossed as there are some precious files on them) and that its a problem with the motherboard (ASUS K8V-MX).

Could it be the IDE controller that has gone? Has anyone any views?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you entered the BIOS setup and checked all your settings? How old is the board and what are the machine specs? You've given us very little info to go on and you are dealing with a serious problem.

You can get add on cards that will support a couple of IDE drives if you need to. This may be your best choice if you can't get the IDE controller to work properly.

MickL

MickL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Tyger - sorry for being a bit vague previously but I'd been pulling out what hair I've got left!

The spec of the machine is as follows:

- AMD Sempron 3100+
- 1gb RAM
- XP Pro (sp2)
- ASUS K8V-MX Motherboard (just over 2 years old - Dec 05)
- Radion 9600 graphics card
- Primary HD 120gb Hitachi Deskstar SATA
- Secondary HD's - 80gb Hitachi Deskstar IDE & 60gb Western Digital Caviar IDE

When I enter BIOS I can see all 3 HD's plus the floppy.

Up until Friday I'd been working with this configuration for 3 months with no problems - I find it hard to believe that all 3 (2xHD plus floppy) would fail at the same time.

Initially I thought it was a PSU problem as I got nothing from the floppy but even with a swapped out PSU & a new floppy I still don't get any joy hence my thoughts about the IDE controller failing.

As you can tell from the spec, I'm not a power user when it comes to hardware, its just a bog standard PC that allows me to surf & do the usual household stuff.

If you need any other info that might be able to help you offer some advice, please let me know.

:)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Regarding the floppy: Check in the BIOS if the floppy disk controller is enabled. That is not in the same page in the BIOS where you see all the connected drives.

Regarding the hard disks: In device manager look for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Click the + sign, right click each of the drivers and choose uninstall. Reboot the computer.

If still no good check the IDE drives one at a time. See if any of them will work when connected alone to the ribbon..

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One thing you can do is try one hard drive at a time. Sometimes one will fail in such a way as to make them both look bad. You've pretty much eliminated the floppy as a problem. One thing is seeing the drives in BIOS isn't the same as having them enabled in the BIOS so I would scour the BIOS settings for anything related to the IDE and floppies. I'm on a machine now that someone just about gave away because they didn't know how to set the BIOS for the drives. It only took about five minutes to get it working correctly.