Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple NICs in one PC

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work, we have a PC with two NIC cards. One card sits on our own network, the other card sits on a third party's network. When I do a tracert to one of their PCs, the first hop is on our network, not theirs. I'm trying to figure out how to get the DOS PING and TRACERT commands to use the NIC card that sits on their network.

I changed the bindings, but that didn't seem to help any. And I know for sure that the PC is working on their network because a network printer is attached to it. When our people use the third party's software, their printouts come out of that printer. That printer sits on the PC in question. If it wasn't on their network, we wouldn't be getting the printouts.

For some reason though, I can't get the PC to connect to a site on their network.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
What OS is this PC running?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows will usually use the fastest connection it can get its grubby little hands on, or failing that anything it can use to get to wherever it wants to go.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

The PC is running Windows XP Pro. We've since made another discovery. We can actually ping the switch the PC connects to, but we can't ping the router. I've found that I can't ping the router from the working PCs either. When I do the tracert, it takes me out our NIC instead of the theirs. Still, somehow the program works.

For now, we're assuming the NIC is good since we can see the switch and since the others can print to a printer connected to this PC. We still don't know why we can't ping the router or how to make a PC ping with a particular NIC.

Thanks,

Magus

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

Windows will usually use the fastest connection it can get its grubby little hands on, or failing that anything it can use to get to wherever it wants to go.

This would be the awnser to that.
How are the 2 NICs configurated?
What are the network numbers of each network?
xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy

the x would be the network number, y would be the host number (assuming the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0)

Or you could follow these steps so we can take a look ourself.

• Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and copy it into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Artellos:

I'm not at work today or tomorrow, but I do remember the numbers:

NIC IP for their network = 10.30.10.140
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.192

NIC IP for our network = 10.100.11.97
Subnet mask = 255.255.0.0

Thanks,

Magus

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are the gateway's different on the two NICs?

try adding a static route into the PC

open a command prompt and type
route add 10.30.10.0 mask 255.255.255.192 <here put the gateway for their network> -p

the -p makes it persistent....now try pinging their router.....is there router configured to route between the two subnets at all? or is that what you're trying to avoid