Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Problems/ Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

yvanne66

yvanne66

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Edit PostHello Everyone,
just saying 'hi' as I am a newbie whom has decided to want to become a Geek smile.gif I'd appreciate any help you all can give as I am also reading on and getting information from your posts on this wonderful forum.
Just recently we changed Internet Provider and something must have happened when IE was messting up a while ago. Yahoo had problems, too. Ever since then I wasn't able to search my files and folders anymore. There is a blank page with a tail-wiggling doggie sitting at the buttom and that's it! sad.gif
Well, hubby can't find the Windows XP- CD Rom (I think they never gave it to him after uploading the system at the store. If you don't ask they may hope you come back to them when you got problems, and they make more money), so I am sitting here trying to repair this problem.
Ever since this day about 2 months or so ago, I also wasn't able to read 'the text' in my e-mails any longer when accessing the Internet through IE, so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and it works.
Now the problem is that my husband changed internet providers and just how the Windows Media Player, I Tunes and others won't work anymore by being denied updates and new downloads, so it won't even read the CD-Rom from the new internet provider in order to install internet. I am torn right now, because the only way I get internet access is through the old provider which still is active and I am using the old router from them. When my husband gets home from work I a have to place the new router from the new provider, otherwise he won't get internet, because his computer is already switched over. My husband I and myself are not 'on good terms' so he won't let me use his computer to check my e-mails etc..... and he will soon give back the old router to the former internet provider and then I am screwed. I have no income in order to buy a $40 Repair Kit, as I also don't have any credit cards that I could use to pay online via pay pal or so. If my husband would take this computer back to the store they'd charge him about $100 to clean the computer and reload XP. I know that it may not be necessary, yet my husband is impatient and doesn't have the patience to figure things out on his own, because he can't deal with things when they don't work out, as he always freaks out, if things don't work right away. I have been accused that all this is my fault, and I haven't done anything to my knowledge that could have caused this problem. Hey, I'd like to have a properly working Computer, too.... Please, if anyone could help me to fix this problem here before I am totally cut off the net, because he'll take back the old modem some time, I'd truly appreciate this. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! Yvonne.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Yvonne,

I will be trying to help to the best of my knowledge and if I can't help you I am sure others will be able to.

what protection programs are you using?
When listing this think about the following sort of programs:
  • Anti Virus
  • Anti Spyware
  • Firewall
If you -do- have these sorts of programs, how often do you scan your computer etc?
Lets work this out step by step! :)

Regards,
Olrik

yvanne66

yvanne66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello Olrik,

thank you for helping.
I do have anti spyware from antivir and a thread fire firewall, too. It was a free download from an article on Yahoo a while ago.
The problem is that I installed that after the fact that IE had problems and when I noticed that Windows Media Player including the update wouldn't work anymore. I just did a scan and there 66 viruses that I can't fix because I would have to register.

My husband doesn't want to clear the computer himself, and use the windows vista CD that he has here. We could upload a new system to this computer where all can be solved, yet he sais he would have to upload Photoshop CS 2 again, too and in the past (when his computer broke down) he had to call in and he did not like how they gave him '[bleep]' to upload this a second time, even though he has the registration number. Maybe it's just an excuse for him to not want to do the work, because his is always busy and doesn't have time for anything or anybody and is just annoyed by having to focus on some one else other than himself. I said I would take care of it as I would learn something, too. He sais the computers are his belongings and if more gets messed up he will be mad at me and that I should leave it alone.

I don't know what his problem is, yet I figured I would try everything that I can where I dont' have to involve him.

I have to get off the computer now, and re-plug the new modem, so when he gets home from work he will be able to access internet. I will be back tomorrow morning (EST) to see if I have received more posts that will help to fix the problem, so this computer will read the CD-Rom from the new Internet provider instead of giving me a blank page, and I am to install the new internet.

Thanks so much for being willing to help. It is much appreciated. I am a little un-nerved, now because I am working this out as it seems against all odds.

I also don't understand why this Windows XP here on this computer doesn't have the feature to repair itself and why I have to buy it? Thought this comes with the program in the first place, even if the place where we bought it didn't give us the CD, which I think would have been the righteous thing to do on their behalf, but you "when it works, it works", unfortunately.

Thank you guys.
I'll be back online tomorrow.

Yvonne.

Edited by yvanne66, 06 April 2008 - 12:53 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I just did a scan and there 66 viruses that I can't fix because I would have to register.

A virus scanner that does that deserves to be sewed!

and use the windows vista CD that he has here.

You do have a legal copy of the operating system you are running now, right?

I also don't understand why this Windows XP here on this computer doesn't have the feature to repair itself and why I have to buy it?

This sounds a lot like an illigal version :)

hought this comes with the program in the first place, even if the place where we bought it didn't give us the CD,

So you bought this of a shop and they installed this version of XP which might be not legal...?

I Suggest you take your log to the malware doctors found in this forum.
Please make sure that you read this before posting anything in the malware forum.

If you're still having problems after the malware doctors declare your log clean feel free to post back here and we'll help you to the best of our knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik