Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLOW computer

• Please log in to reply

tlittle08

tlittle08

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
For about a couple months now, my computer has been running way to slow and it is making me very aggravated. i've defragmented it and that didn't seem to help much at all. It has been taking about 10 to 15 minutes to boot up completely and everytime i want to run an application or click from application to application it takes way to long (about a min. or two). What should i do so it runs normal? Do i need to buy new ram or what? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hello , my name is AlErT. Welcome to GeeksToGo, we are here to help you!

It has been taking about 10 to 15 minutes to boot up completely and everytime i want to run an application or click from application to application it takes way to long (about a min. or two).

what i can think is that lot of programs run by default at startup.
so you have to disable programs which you won't need to run automatically

to do this go to start-->run-->type msconfig

then select startup tab and uncheck all programs which you dont want to start automatically

and then click ok and then reboot computer

now you can see the difference

please let me know whether this helps you or not.

thanks

Edited by AlErT, 06 April 2008 - 12:43 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
What you might want to think about too is that a lot of viruses or spyware drains a lot of resources.
If you don't use any protection programs like Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and Firewall then I Suggest you take your log to the malware doctors found in this forum.
Please make sure that you read this before posting anything in the malware forum.

If you're still having problems after the malware doctors declare your log clean feel free to post back here and we'll help you to the best of our knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tlittle08...

Kinda sounds like it could be a transfer mode issue. It sure wouldn't hurt to check.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

tlittle08

tlittle08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, AlErt. I cleared all the programs from starting up when windows starts and it helped a good amount i guess. Still runs a little slower then what i think it should be though.

tlittle08

tlittle08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wannabe1, primary IDE channel: device 0 current transfer mode says Ultra DMA Mode 5. Device 1 current transfer mode says Not Applicable. Secondary IDE channel: device 0 current transfer mode says Ultra DMA Mode 2. Device 1 current tranfer mode says PIO mode.

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Yes, AlErt. I cleared all the programs from starting up when windows starts and it helped a good amount i guess. Still runs a little slower then what i think it should be though.

ok its good that it running somehow fast now we have to do some more cleaning :)

now go to run-->type temp

it would open folder of temporary files so just delete unnecessary files .

now please downolad tool Easycleaner Its freeware version

EasyCleaner is a small program which searches the Windows registry for entries that are pointing nowhere. EasyCleaner also lets you delete all kinds of unnecessary files such as temps and backups. You can search for duplicate files and you can view some interesting info about your disk space usage! You are also able to manage startup programs, invalid shortcuts and add/remove software list. ToniArts may not be held accountable in any way if EasyCleaner affects your computer in a negative way. List of some features:

Very nice interface!
Finds invalid registry entries ----> deleting them speeds up your computer!
Finds duplicate files ----> deleting them will free disk space!
Finds all unnecessary files like backups, temps etc. ----> deleting them will free disk space!
Finds all invalid shortcuts ----> deleting them will free disk space and increase usability!
Manage programs starting at Windows startup! ----> who knows, you might even catch a virus before it gets serious!
Manage Windows add/remove software listing!
Easily remove Internet Explorer's temporary Internet files, history and cookies!
Very user friendly!
Shows some interesting info about your disk space usage.
Very customizable.
Multi-language support!
Uses only little amount of recources while running!
Huge help file which gives you every little detail about EasyCleaner!
And much more...

Please let me know wether this increases some speed or not

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Before running the Easycleaner application, let's try something.

Right click on Secondary IDE channel and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot and Windows will reinstall the channel and any devices assigned to it...you will then be asked to restart your machine...do so.

Does the machine start and run faster after the second reboot?

tlittle08

tlittle08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It never asked me to reboot the computer again after reinstalling the driver

Edited by tlittle08, 06 April 2008 - 01:39 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Reboot again anyway. Then check the Secondary IDE channel again and see if Device 1 is still set to PIO.

How does the machine run? Any faster?

Advertisements

tlittle08

tlittle08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I used some of the utilities in the easy cleaner application and i deleted most of the stuff except for the dupliates part because it stopped responding. It seems to be running a little better but still not quite there i think. (switching from app. to app. still a little slow but way better than before.

Edited by tlittle08, 06 April 2008 - 01:44 PM.

tlittle08

tlittle08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes it is still at PIO and it goes a little faster. I think it will work for now. Thanks for all who helped me solve my problem.

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
good work :)

now you can learn some common ways which would help you to speed up your pc in future

please click on link www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx

thanks

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
If that pio device is a cd drive, you can uninstall it and reboot.
It should reset to dma, where it should be.
The pio mode will be slowing your computer down.

You can uninstall all cd/dvd drives and they will reinstall with fresh settings, hopefully dma settings.

I thought I'd add that, wannabe1, because this is probably a big part of the problem.
And it doesn't seem to be a priority to the user.

If that pio device is a master drive then reformatting and reinstalling is the only way to reset it to my knowledge. If there's another way I'd like to hear, thanks.
If it's a slave drive it can be uninstalled and reboot to reinstall it automatically like the cd/dvd drives.

Just my 2 cents.....

Edited by cmpm, 07 April 2008 - 08:05 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, the easiest way to reset the devices that have dropped to the Programmed Input/Output transfer mode is to uninstall the affected channel and let it reinstall on reboot...this effectively removes and reinstalls the devices assigned to that channel. When a device fails to reset to DMA or drops back to PIO after being reset, it's indicative of a device that's having problems and may be failing...this is particularly true when it's the Primary channel and the devices attached are hard drives. In this case, the device in question is in the slave position on the secondary channel...likely the optical drive.

tlittle08...Go back to the Secondary IDE channel in Device Manager and see if Device 1 will allow you to change the Transfer Mode to "DMA if Available" using the drop down menus. Apply the change (if you can make it) and reboot. Check the channel again and see if the setting held. You might try uninstalling that channel again, too...then reboot twice.

cmpm's suggestion is also a good way to do this, though it will only address the device that you uninstall and not the channel itself.