Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista SP 1

• Please log in to reply

vistaguy1987

vistaguy1987

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there a way to get Vista SP 1 other than windows update that would be good for dial up?

Vistaguy1987

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Nope. The only other way is to go to a friend's house (with a faster connection) to download the standalone. Took me only 20 minutes to download on a T3 line.

EDIT: But Vista SP1 won't install unless you have certain updates. Do you not update Vista at all? Why do you think you can't use Windows Update to get SP1?

Edited by The Admiral, 06 April 2008 - 03:03 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Microsoft normally makes cd's available for purchase for a small nominal fee. However, they will probably not release it until sp1 becomes mandatory. You can always have someone download it for you and burn it to cd.

vistaguy1987

vistaguy1987

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Because I have 33.3kb/s dial up internet so it would take FOREVER to download SP1 with Windows update.

gutterman

gutterman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi vistaguy,

As mentioned above there is a standalone package you can download from Microsoft's download page. Have you been running automatic updates and been able to receive all important/critical updates successfully? There are a series (3 I believe) of pre-service pack files to be installed through Windows Update. I just wanted to verify this based on your connection speed.

As The Admiral said, download the Standalone from a friend's house or some fashion like that. I believe the new Firefox Beta 3 allows you to restart downloads. That would allow you to just download it as you go when you are connected, but would depend on how often you can maintain a connection. Either way, be sure you have all current updates before proceeding.

Good luck!