Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply

computernoobie

computernoobie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, and forgive me if someone has already posted a problem such as this one, if there was a problem such as this one please redirect me to that topic rather than banning me for it....people tend to do that =(

have a dell dimension e520, and i recently have a problem with my usb keyboard i'm not sure whether it is the usb port or the keyboard itself, running many diagnostics the problem was neither...yea.....i noticed when i start windows (by the way i'm using windows vista which was upgraded from xp) i noticed that i can turn on/off the caps lock so the computer in fact recognizes the keyboard >.< but then it freezes at the windows logo before logging in, when i log in using on-screen keyboard i've tried using the keyboard because it seems like the keyboard is on, but nothing....no keys are working. I've tried every port in the computer including the front USbs and none of them work, also i've switched from usb to usb when the comp. is turned off ftw >.>. I tried going into the control panel into device manager and it seems that the keyboard isn't detected, so i don't really know what to do at this point but maybe clean install it, If anyone ever had this problem please help, i'm really out of solutions here, i would appreciate it if anyone helped

Edited by computernoobie, 06 April 2008 - 05:12 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well are you using a usb mouse? if so try the keyboard in that port... if the keyboard still doesn't work and the mouse does ( either in it's original or the ports the keyboard doesn't I'd say it's a keyboard issue... First thing I'd try is to go to safe mode and remove any listing for keyboard from device manager... also check programs and see if anything is installed for the keyboard and remove anything there... ( note also the keyboard may work in safe mode but still remove any drivers/software for the keyboard you can find ) once that is done then reboot to full windows... I hope this helps as I'm still not terribly familiar with vista yet but this is what I would do under the same circumstances if it was xp.