Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restricting access to web pages

• Please log in to reply

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there

Just a quick question, I am in the process of designing a website to which I want to restrict access to certain pages.

The site in its self is about projects I have done or am doing and want to stop users viewing these and want to display a popup asking for a username and password, also if possible to lock out certain countries viewing my site

I want all users to use the same username and password and I think its called something like a htacess popup? I know if one wanted to they could get round this but its just to add a little bit of security, harder the better :)

I have done some reading on this and I have found you need to make whats called a .htaccess file :) how do you go about doing these types of files and where abouts do you put them?

The website is being hosted on a propper server. (the free website ones)

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

wizzy

Edited by wizzy2k5, 06 April 2008 - 07:55 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Read about setting up .htaccess file.

.htaccess

Apache HTTP Server Version 1.3 .htaccess files

.htaccess file tutorial and useful htaccess examples

Ron