Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Is this you?" Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Canouver

Canouver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everybody!
I recently got the "Is this you?" virus from MSN from a friend. My friend sent me it and we've been pretty good friends so I didn't think anything of it and it had my e-mail at the end.

The msg was like this:
hey, is this really you? :S http://albums.yoyohost.com/?= <e-mail here>

So, I've already tried scanning with Ad-Aware SE Personal. I did a full system scan searching for both high and low risks. I got 34 risks that I immediately deleted.

Prior to scanning with Ad-Aware, I tried using Spybot S&D, but the scan seems to prematurely stop on its own after about 2 minutes, and "Fixing" the problems don't seem to work.

Also, I'm not very computer savvy. So if anybody tries to help me, they'll probably have to do some thorough explaining. >_< Sorry!

EDIT: Just scanned with Spybot, but Im not sure if the virus is gone

Here's the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:29:36 PM, on 4/5/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WISPTIS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sophie Tsai\Desktop\IMG00231.JPG-www.photoshare.com
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

--
End of file - 2347 bytes

Thanks!!

Sophie

Edited by Canouver, 06 April 2008 - 10:11 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry Sophie, but I know from chat that you are running on a pirated version of XP. You'll have to get that taken care of before we can assist you with your problem.

You might consider contacting Microsoft...they will sometimes offer you a license at reduced cost. Or you can purchase an OEM or Retail version of XP complete with a valid license key locally or from an online retailer like Tiger Direct.

Until this system is legal, our Terms of Use prevent us from helping. Thanks for your cooperation.

wannabe1