Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with CD drive

• Please log in to reply

johannly

johannly

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi a couple of days ago i installed ashampoo burning room , i was burning a cd then all of a sudden it said there was n error, then i tried to open the DVD tray but it didnt open well i didnt pay much attention n left it like that for a while , later on it opened normal , right now each time i put a CD/DVD in the tray n browse from start in to computer, it hangs n says it stopped responding , after a short time it responds again but nothing appears in the CD drive , no matter which CD i put it doesnt read it , it says i should insert CD, in the past i had a problem when i uninstalled some programs of toshiba , the CD drive was gone from computer, but i learned that deleting some filters it appeared again, but in this case the CD drive is not gone , in the past even if the CD drive was gone i could format, now i try to format n it doesnt read it, i take to option to booth from CD n what i get is a message saying that vista cant start , n gives me some options like safe mode etc, also suggest to put the vista DVD in the tray n repair, i dunno what to do im so desperate, i wanna format n i cant , i wonder what can i do.

my laptop is relatively new i got it on november n was released by toshiba in october so has only a couple of months, this is a toshiba satellite a215-s7472
the CD drive is a :

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K17LF ATA

i tried to updated the driver but it says is already uptodate i also tried uninstalling the driver but nope , nothing happens :<

plse help im so desperate , i dunno what to do :)

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
johannly,

This might sound obvious, but when troubleshooting a problem, always ask yourself "when did this problem first start happening" and "what did I install or change JUST BEFORE I started having this problem?"

If installing "ashampoo burning room" marked the start of this problem, then, before ANYTHING ELSE, I would completely UNINSTALL this program and see if you still have this problem. If you're looking for good CD/DVD burning software - I would recommend Nero software based on my personal experiences.

Hope this helps.

- John Hook

johannly

johannly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
the first thing i did was uninstall it n uninstall the recent programs i have installed
i tried all what i thought could b possible, the xtranges thing is that usually when
a problem with a driver if u boot in safe mode or boot from a cd it should work
but in my case is not working

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
johannly,

You may want to go into "Control Panel", "System", "Hardware" (tab) and attempt to remove your CD/DVD drive as well as the "Secondary IDE Channel" under "IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers", found under "ATA/ATAPI controllers". After this, reboot your PC and allow it to re-detect and re-install these devices.

Your ashampoo software may have also installed incompatible ASPI drivers that could be causing the problems you describe.

Question - in your PCs current state, are you at least able to READ CD-ROMS and/or DVD-ROMs?

Are you able to go to Toshiba's site and search the Toshiba support pages about your specific issue? If so, go to:

http://www.csd.toshi...u...mp;x=21&y=8

Check out THESE sites:

http://www.csd.toshi...;all_docs=false

DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS:

http://www.csd.toshi...kceghdgngdgmn.0

These links offer SEVERAL tech support pages for your specific model, as well as driver/BIOS downloads that MAY be useful in solving the issues that you're experiencing.

Hope this helps!

- John Hook

johannly

johannly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

johannly,

You may want to go into "Control Panel", "System", "Hardware" (tab) and attempt to remove your CD/DVD drive as well as the "Secondary IDE Channel" under "IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers", found under "ATA/ATAPI controllers". After this, reboot your PC and allow it to re-detect and re-install these devices.

Your ashampoo software may have also installed incompatible ASPI drivers that could be causing the problems you describe.

Question - in your PCs current state, are you at least able to READ CD-ROMS and/or DVD-ROMs?

Are you able to go to Toshiba's site and search the Toshiba support pages about your specific issue? If so, go to:

http://www.csd.toshi...u...mp;x=21&y=8

Check out THESE sites:

http://www.csd.toshi...;all_docs=false

DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS:

http://www.csd.toshi...kceghdgngdgmn.0

These links offer SEVERAL tech support pages for your specific model, as well as driver/BIOS downloads that MAY be useful in solving the issues that you're experiencing.

Hope this helps!

- John Hook

im running windows vista i went to the device manager n romved the dvd drive , i went to atapi as u suggested but i didnt dare to remove anything cuz i wasnt sure , u said secondary IDE channel, i dnt have anything that matches that name , in the list under IDE ATA/ATAPI i have first 3 that have the same name "IDE Channel" then other 2 come that say "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" , i wonder which one u wanted me to remove, i wonder if was the second one of IDE Channel or which, well when remove the DVD drive n reboot it recognizes it , but still doesnt work, it doesnt read or write CD/DVD , when i put a DVD/CD n open computer from start it hangs , says is not responding , then after a moment the hard drives load, same as the CD drive, but in the CD drive doesnt appear the name of the CD/DVD that is inside, i click the CD drive n it says plse insert disk

i surfed before posting here the page of toshiba support but i didnt see anything helpfull , i tried in the support forum but that forum doesnt belong to toshiba , belongs to a 3rd party , i registered but i didnt know how to use it nor found anything interesting

thanks for the information

plse let me know which of the 5 things that appear under atapi i should remove

any other idea ?

johannly

johannly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
when try to boot from the vista dvd or the toshiba recovery disk i get this screen

Posted Image

so i have to boot in normal mode

im so worried is my laptop damaged ??

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
johannly,

I would first try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the screen shot in your last post. If that doesn't work, see if it will start in "Safe Mode".

The top options are going to start the Windows Setup - which can be destructive depending on WHICH options you pick. You can try the "Repair" option at the top of "Last Known Good Configuration" doesn't work. This should eventually get you into the Windows Recovery Console. The Recovery Console is a DOS-Like prompt that will allow you to run a CHKDSK:

CHKDSK C: /R

To scan and repair your hard drive.

Post back and let us know what you find.

- John Hook

johannly

johannly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

johannly,

I would first try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the screen shot in your last post. If that doesn't work, see if it will start in "Safe Mode".

The top options are going to start the Windows Setup - which can be destructive depending on WHICH options you pick. You can try the "Repair" option at the top of "Last Known Good Configuration" doesn't work. This should eventually get you into the Windows Recovery Console. The Recovery Console is a DOS-Like prompt that will allow you to run a CHKDSK:

CHKDSK C: /R

To scan and repair your hard drive.

Post back and let us know what you find.

- John Hook

john hook i didnt understand what shall i do , the last good known configuration doesnt do anything , i can start in safe mode with no problem , how do i start the windows setup ? what do u mean by destructive ???

plse tell me about the atapi stuff which one should i remove ???