Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd-rom drive problem

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I have a problem with the dvd drive on my hp dv2000t laptop.

I first noticed that my drive wasn't showing up anything when I tried to install stuff off of a cd. It isn't in device manager, bios, or anywhere.

I later decided to install my OS all over again. Since it is on the hdd, I didn't need the cd. The drive still didn't show.

Now it is getting frustrating. My network no longer works (after the fresh install) and I suspect it is norton. My drive doesn't work. I can't transfer anything.

I decided to see if I put in the hp recovery disk and restart the pc. Alas, it booted that. It seemed to go very slow. I took it out and proceeded back to the desktop to see my drive in My Computer. I restart, it is gone again.

I do some googling. I find a registry for the upper and lower filters. I can't delete..not even in safe mode.

What could be the problem?

Advertisements

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Is there anything in the drive right now? Can you confirm to me that there isn't a stuck CD before we begin troubleshooting?

Can you open the drive or has it frozen completely?

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
it still opens