Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking isn't working

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I have reinstalled my OS on my laptop 3 times. Everything time I uninstalled all the junk (including Norton). This time I kept it and ditched zone alarm.

Now the network doesn't work. I disable the norton firewall and use the windows firewall instead. Still nothing

I decide to ping.

Laptop to PC (4 sent, 4 received, 0 percent loss)
PC to Laptop (4 sent, 0 received, 100 percent loss)

I don't know what to do with norton. I am not even sure it is the problem as I tried to configure everything correctly.

Advertisements

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
you should try checking the windows firewall option to see wether ICMP is blocked or not. If you are using XP you should do the following:
start - control panel - security center - windows firewall

This will bring you the settingspart of the windows firewall, there are 3 tabs there:
A. General
B. Exceptions
C. Advanced

Go to the advanced tab and click on the third box 'ICMP', click on the settingsbutton - then check 'Allowing incoming echo requests'

Now try to ping again, if it works it was that and if it didn't work it might be norton but we'll see that after you try this.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Lets get a bit bigger list of details.
What OS did you install?
What other protection programs are currently installed on the laptop?
How is the laptop connected to the network?
How is the PC connected to the network?

By awnsering these questions you give us a better sight on the situation and help us solve the problem :)

Regards,
Olrik

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I have reinstalled my OS on my laptop 3 times. Everything time I uninstalled all the junk (including Norton). This time I kept it and ditched zone alarm.

Now the network doesn't work. I disable the norton firewall and use the windows firewall instead. Still nothing

Okay, after the third Windows re-install, did you re-configure or re-install your network adapter drivers so that you would have proper connectivity?

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I got it working...turns out I didn't configure norton correctly.

I turned off the norton firewall before to use the windows one and it worked in the past with the windows firewall very easily.

This time I just added my computers ip into the accepted list for the norton firewall and we can see each other.