Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI Radeon 9550 on Intel D845HV mobo

• Please log in to reply

RonW

RonW

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm upgrading and installing a used Intel D845HV mobo with P4, 1.7GHz processor using my current
ATI Radeon 9550 128 MB AGP video card. The specs for both the video card and the mobo confirm they are compatible (4x, 1.5 v) and the video card works fine in my current configuration (PCChips M780mr MOBO with Piii 1 GHz). However, when I try to boot the system with the intel mobo I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps which according to the mobo docs indicates faulty video card or external ROM module does not properly checksum to zero. These beeps occur so quickly on start up I don't have time to get into the BIOS. The mobo does not have any on board video. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Either the card is no good or it doesn't like that video card. Just because the slot cut matches doesn't mean its going to work. You should borrow an AGP card from somewhere and see if it likes that one to determine whether it just doesn't like your card or whether the board has more serious issues.

RonW

RonW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Neil. I know the card is good because I am using it right now on my old mobo. I think I'll try a bare bones boot with the Intel mobo and see what happens, if that doesn't help isolate the problem I'll throw in a PCI grahics card and see what happens. I already tried another AGP card, a 32 mb ATI card, and that didn't work either.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two separate cards that work on other boards would point to an issue with the AGP port on your D845HV. However if a PCI Graphics card should fail as well, the board's got a serious failure that means its going to be no good for anything bar propping doors open.