Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enabling wireless on Toshiba Satellite L40 18Z

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:) I recently bought the above mentioned laptop, and the wireless networking doesn't seem to be enabled by default.

My previous old laptop relied on a pc-card for wireless, and the software for this was very intuitive.

Not so I don't feel for my new laptop.

Not sure if it's a Windows Vista (Home Ed) thing, or Toshiba - but any help, advice or pointers to useful sources of info would be appreciated.

(please don't say read the manual, Read The Flaming Manual) - I've already done searches in the online manual and didn't find it useful at all).

Regards to all

:) Dave B - linuxwannabee

Advertisements

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I dont want to make you look bad or anything but look on the corner of the base of the laptop and make sure the wi-fi or wireless card in enabled. It might be switched off. My fiance ran into the same issue after I turned it off and didnt know it was there.. Other then that go Start(windows flag bottom left)>Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center>Under Tasks on the top left click Manage Network Connections. If the wireless Adpter is listed in there right click it and you should be able to see if it enabled or disabled. if it disabled, it might be a corupt driver. Maybe doing a system recovery if you check both of those things.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi

Many thanks - I found it!

A little red faced maybe - but I was looking for a virtual switch within the Windows interface - rather than a physical one!

Cheers

Dave B - Linuxwannabee

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
toshiba doesn't make that switch easy to find...or easy to turn on when you've got fat fingers