Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory problem on XP

• Please log in to reply

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Guys I need to no how to get my windows xp pro to show the 3 or 3.5 gigs of memory it's caple of using. I have a xfx 680i lt sli Mother board. I have 8 gigs of memory 2 sets of 2x2 gig sticks. I run dual boot ultimate 64 bit which shows the 8 gigs of memory and Xp pro 32bit ya I no I just cant quit using it lol Well xp will only show 2 gigs Is there a way or a patch or some thing to show the 3 gig or 3.5 that it soposed to show.

Advertisements

Cobalt_Spike

Cobalt_Spike

• Pip
  • 5 posts
As far as I'm aware (Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), 32-bit operating systems will only recognize memory up to two gigs.

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
From my understanding, your OS MUST be 64-bit to support up to 4 gigs of memory. From reading, it sounds like your version of XP is only 32-bit!?

gutterman

gutterman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've had this issue in my version of Vista 32-bit. The below article sums it up pretty well. As to why you can't show the 3.1-3.5GBs, I would suggest enabling PAE although, as the article I linked to suggests, an update from Microsoft may prevent that from assisting you.

http://blogs.msdn.co...-my-memory.aspx

I haven't tried, but does XP Service Pack 3 have the same effect as Vista Service Pack 1? Do they both just show the physical amount of RAM installed? (as Vista SP1 does)

lorinzo2002

lorinzo2002

• Pip
  • 7 posts
No 32-bit version of windows will support MORE than 4 gig. However, if you put in more physical memory than 4 gig, it will work, but report your memory as something crazy like 2 gig. Also, even if you put in 4 gig, it will not report in windows as exactly 4 gig...the most i've seen is 3.98.