Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I really need your help im desperate now :*(

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok I have already got a post open regarding a simular matter but that is regarding a possible fault I might have had with my wireless card but im sure now that it is not the case but only guessing.

The problem I have been having for over a week now is my connection keeps turning off intermittently and when I have a connection it isn't stable, the 5 bars keep fluctuating between "fair" and "good"(always a good or excellent stable connection before) and if I leave my computer on all day when I come back I have a yellow triangle with a "!" in the middle > \!/ and not even connected to the network/router. Im sure this is not a card fault but more of a system configuration or a router configuration as if it was a card fault my card wouldn't connect at all but again im only guessing.

The card is only 3months old and I have only been using wireless for 3months and up untill 1 week ago everything was perfect. I have not changed or added any programmes or made any changes to my system this just started happening suddenly. In my household there are 2 laptops belonging to 2 people and their connections are fine, no problems at all and if I plug in my "ethernet" (i think they call it) or my internet cable then eveything is fine but but when I try connecting wireless then the problems start.
Before 1 week ago I had an almost perfect connection and had no problems but now it's geting rediculous as sometimes I have to restart the router and my PC just to connect to the "Google" home page and it can take several attempts and many minutes, all this is happening while my connetion bars are over half so the signal is there its just not sending the data to my PC or im not receiving the data correctly. I have been searching for the past week for answers and a solution and from other forums and bits of infomation I have read I have tried the following:

Service.msc and stopping and restarting the device via "WLAN Autoconfig"

Manually unplugging the wireless card from my computer and re-inserting it

Updating wireless driver

Restarting router and PC

Checked to see if my computer is configured correctly and also the router (Not sure what I was looking for or at as my PC skills are beginners but skills are adequate for most tasks I do)

And finally hit my head against a wall a few times and pulled all my hair out but none seemed to work. My sytem details are :

Vista Basic 32bit Desktop
Router Belkin54g Virgin ISP
Card Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g wireless device
12MB connection speed

Please help me solve this problem as now I am completely at a dead end and going in circles.

*2 laptops on the same router have no problems and very fast connetion and none including my desktop are on a home network all act Independently, if that the right expression, and again I had no problem before 1 week ago.

Please please please help
Many Thanks

Peyote

*If you want any screen shots of any settings I can post.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
If this is wireless, have you moved it further away from the wireless router?
Have you maybe put something inbetween the router and the laptop that could disrupt the wireless signal?

Before 1 week ago I had an almost perfect connection and had no problems but now it's geting rediculous as sometimes I have to restart the router and my PC just to connect to the "Google" home page and it can take several attempts and many minutes

Does this mean your computer suffers from slow connection aswell?

Let me know what you find and we'll continue working on this.

Regards,
Olrik

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks for the reply Olrik.

Yes this is wireless but is not a laptop it is a desktop. I havn't moved my PC or the router and I dont think anything is in the way to block the connection but I must say that my PC is in another room roughly about 18/24 ft away and my PC is on the floor under a desk and the antenna is only about 6 inchs long but this was never a problem before but could this be an issue ?

I wouldn't say my my connection is slow the main issue is getting it to connect. This is intermittent as I was using my PC last night to post this topic and it was loading quite fast. My main issue is that when the connection bars are at 3/5 or 4/5 I still cant load web pages and other apps can't connect such as Onecare and MSN. The connection seems to flucuate I have noticed aswell it just does not seem to be stable when I finally get a connection.

*also when I started to get this problem I was getting a error code in the bottom left hand corner of the web page Res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm# not sure what that error code was but im not geting that error now all I get now (again intermittently) is a completly balnk web page and in the bottom left corner it says "done"

Edited by peyote, 08 April 2008 - 06:13 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
If this is possible:
Move the computer about 3 feet away from the router (Almost next to it) and try to connect.
If the issue still remains we'll investigate further.

Regards,
Olrik

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Heres a read about the error code you're recieving: http://pcsupport.abo.../ieframedll.htm
What Anti-Virus program are you using?
What Anti-Spyware program are you using?

Regards,
Olrik

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok I will try that when I get home from work in a few hours but could there be anything else it could be because I was hoping that would be a last resort as I have a few things hooked up to my PC and is ver time consuming unplugging everything and reassembling it all again. My connection status bar is always 2 bars or more out of 5 even when flucuating so it is receiving a reasonable signal I think but if it needs to be done to rule it out I will.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Read the link I gave you in Post #5 and try that out first.
After that you can do a DNSflush by doing the following

Start -> Run
Type: "ipconfig /flushdns"

Let me know how it went!

Regards,
Olrik

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I think I may have fixed that problem by swithing to firefox and unistalling my anti-virus and reinstalling it so its not an issue now just wondered if was connected to the problems im having now as it looks the same just with no error code, error code has been replaced by "Done" .

Im using Windows Onecare, spyblaster, hijackthis and spybot. I think only Onecare and spyblaster run in the backround the other two are just for scanning.

What does the pconfig /flushdns do ? I will post my results as soon as I get home with any other info you need :)

Thank you for helping me :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
A DNS Is a Domain Naming Service.
This service will make sure that when you type in "www.google.com" it will redirect you to 64.233.183.99 :)
Try doing it by going to Start -> Run and type in "ping www.google.com".
the /flushdns will make sure that your cache of dns'es are 'flushed' and will contact your DNS Server for a new IP making sure you have an updated one.

Im using Windows Onecare, spyblaster, hijackthis and spybot.

Remember.. do NOT use HijackThis unless you know what you're doing or being guided by an expert.
HijackThis is a powerfull tool and by removing a wrong entry you could cause damage to your operating system.

Regards,
Olrik

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ahh cool ok as soon as I get home I will try that and give you an update on the situation.

I've only used Hijack this once to past the results here on Geeks to go and will probaly not use it again unless I get infected but im pretty safe when surfing and open foreign files so no problem

Advertisements

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok the "ipconfig/flushdns" didn't seem to work as it said "the request operation requires elevation" I do not know what that means. Here is a screen shot of the results of "ping www.google.com"

35317752.jpg

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
the request operation requires elevation" nevermind had to run as admin.... Vista -_-

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Still no luck, I get a message "could not flush the DNS resolver cache: funtion failed during execution" :)

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Sorry for the one sentence replys but I got the configip/flushdns to work. My DNS client service was set to disabled so I "started" it and switched it to automatic, is this correct? not sure how or if it should be disabled but I done the ipconfig/flushdns and it worked and the message said "successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache"

.... what now :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Is the connection still being low?
Also please follow the following steps:

• Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and copy it into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik