Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

word doc failed to open --access privileges

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

harrytt

harrytt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I have a few word docs on my USB external drive that I saved from my previous job. It seems now that I dont have any rights on these files even given the fact that I modified these files back then. I could not open these files --they all give "word cannot open the document. user does not have access privileges" error. Also couldnt copy and paste the files into another location --giving "access denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use".

I tried to play around with all the security related settings from the files' property page, i.e. adding myself, or a local admin user to own the file and give all the rights. But seems nothing works. MS support site has an article regarding that "access privileges" error but the solution is also to play around with the property>security settings. Nothing works.

I'm so desperately need to open these files. Please help.

Thanks,
Harry
:)

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
Since you've told us that you saved these documents from a previous job, we have no way of knowing if these are documents that you are allowed to have copied. While I hate to sound suspicious, people leave jobs all the time with proprietary information. I'm afraid we can't help you with this matter.