Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply

adam74716

adam74716

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so i have an acer aspire laptop and my 8 year old son somehow put a password on my account and i didn't make a password change disk. is there any way i can completly wipe the computer and then start it back up again so there is no password or accounts?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there adam74716 and welcome to geeks to go.

Unforunatly although you may have legitimate reasons for this I am unable to help you on this as we cannot tell if you are wanting to do this on your machine, public machine etc..... I have informed the moderators to check this out for you and they will get back to you.

Edited by wizzy2k5, 08 April 2008 - 06:58 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
adam74716,

If you have lost or forgotten your password for logging in to a computer running the Windows XP operating system, there are a few different options:

If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, you can use that disk to reset the password on your account. For more information on how to create and use password reset disks go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP

If you don't have a password reset disk, the other option is to log on as the Administrator (or to have the person who is the machine's Administrator log on) and change the password for your user account. For information on how to do this go to the following Mircosoft article:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q321305

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
adam74716,

I originally posted the instructions I did because our policy as far as passwords is to provide the basic instructions for password recovery from Microsoft's site. These instructions are actually for XP and therefore may not help. If you truly wish to just your PC and start over, we can help you with that.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Ok so i have an acer aspire laptop and my 8 year old son somehow put a password on my account and i didn't make a password change disk. is there any way i can completly wipe the computer and then start it back up again so there is no password or accounts?

Hi there, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Assuming that you don't have data files you need on the drive, you should be able to use the disc that came with the computer to complete a fresh install of Vista. Acer also should have included in the box information on how to achieve the fresh install.

This will delete everything on your hard drive and install Vista "as it was from the factory" for you. You should have either a Windows Vista DVD, or one (or more) discs that Acer will have given you - possibly called "Vista Restore" discs, or something similar.

It isn't possible, though, to not have an account - or how else are you going to log in?

It is highly recommended that you do set yourself an account password, and a strong one at that. As soon as you complete the fresh install, create a password change disc!

Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Troy