Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only 1 partition of USB HDD detected

• Please log in to reply

sandeep3181

sandeep3181

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have an HP Laptop which was working fine until last week.
the OS is XP home. When trying to attach a USB HDD the system just hangs and does not respond.

Also the SCSI/RAID host controller in Device Manager is marked with an exclamation mark.The same was the case with the CD/DVD drive too, but it was fixed after some search through the internet by deleting the filters from the registry.

I had installed Kaspersky Antivirus , when the blue screen appeared with the error: "Driver_IRQL not_less_than_or_equal_to..." i couldn't read the complete the message as the system shutdown. After this i removed Kaspersky and am using NOD32.

Tried a few system restores but nothing has worked out. Please provide some help , please.
I did check the USB HDD on another similar laptop it works fine there.

I have tried the other USB ports to but that too does not work. I ahve tested my USB HDDs on another system where the hdd IS DETECTED. I have tried rmeoving the USB devices and rebooting but the problem persists. Please help me out.

Regards,
Sandeep

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
sandeep3181,

Are you attaching the external USB hard drive BEFORE windows is booted and running on your laptop or After? If you're attaching it BEFORE - your laptop's BIOS MAY be trying to boot from the external USB drive instead of its internal Hard Drive. Knowing this would be helpful in pointing you in the right direction.

Also - you mentioned seeing an error in the device manager for your "SCSI/RAID" host controller. Have you recently installed any CD/DVD burning software or any software that may have replaced the ASPI drivers on your PC? You may want to go to HP's support site, look your specific laptop model, download and install hard disk drivers (if they're available).

I really need more information before I can offer further assistance.

- John

sandeep3181

sandeep3181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear john,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Here are my responses:

Ques : Are you attaching the external USB hard drive BEFORE windows is booted and running on your laptop or After? If you're attaching it BEFORE - your laptop's BIOS MAY be trying to boot from the external USB drive instead of its internal Hard Drive. Knowing this would be helpful in pointing you in the right direction.

Ans : No i attach the USB HDD after windows boots.

Ques: Also - you mentioned seeing an error in the device manager for your "SCSI/RAID" host controller. Have you recently installed any CD/DVD burning software or any software that may have replaced the ASPI drivers on your PC? You may want to go to HP's support site, look your specific laptop model, download and install hard disk drivers (if they're available).

Ans: Yes i did install Alcohol 120% and Nero too . I shall look up HP's site and find the drivers if they are there. Could the USB HDD problem be caused due to the SCSI/RAID problem?

I am more than willing to provide any information to resolve this problem. Looking forward to your inputs. THank You once more.

Regards,
Sandeep

Edited by sandeep3181, 08 April 2008 - 12:39 AM.

sandeep3181

sandeep3181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear john,

This is the list of drivers available at HP for my laptop model dv1000 : http://h10025.www1.h...r...5618&dlc=en

the required driver is not listed i suppose, if you could check once it would be nice.

Regards,
Sandeep

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
sandeep3181,

I would completely UNINSTALL Alcohol 120% and try accessing your USB drive again. I say this because Alcohol 120% installs a virtual CD/DVD driver that just MIGHT be causing a conflict with your laptop's ability to access your external USB drive.

Question - did this problem start AFTER you installed Alcohol 120%? If so, the I would assume that it is likely the cause.

If uninstalling Alcohol 120% and rebooting doesn't allow you access to your external USB HD - then I would DELETE those drivers in the Device Manager (the ones with the "!"), restart Windows and allow it to re-detect and re-install the drivers for these devices. Try connecting your USB HD again and see if this works.

Something OBVIOUSLY changed on your laptop between the time your external USB was working and when it STOPPED working. We know, based on your replies that OTHER PCs can successfully connect to your external USB HD - so chances are, the problem is NOT with your external USB HD - but rather, with a software/driver conflict on your laptop PC.

Hope this helps.

- John

sandeep3181

sandeep3181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi John,

Question - did this problem start AFTER you installed Alcohol 120%? If so, the I would assume that it is likely the cause.

Ans: No John even with alcohol installed the USB HDDs were detected successfully and the SCSI/RAID controller had no ! mark , I think Kaspersky has caused this problem.

===========================================================================

YOur Response : If uninstalling Alcohol 120% and rebooting doesn't allow you access to your external USB HD - then I would DELETE those drivers in the Device Manager (the ones with the "!"), restart Windows and allow it to re-detect and re-install the drivers for these devices. Try connecting your USB HD again and see if this works.

My Repsonse:I have tried uninstalling the SCSI/RAID controller and rebooting but the problem persists.. ===========================================================================

Your Response: Something OBVIOUSLY changed on your laptop between the time your external USB was working and when it STOPPED working. We know, based on your replies that OTHER PCs can successfully connect to your external USB HD - so chances are, the problem is NOT with your external USB HD - but rather, with a software/driver conflict on your laptop PC.

My Response: yes i feel Kaspersky 7 caused the problem, after having instaleld Kaspersky the system shutdown with a blue screen and an error like : "Driver_IRQL not_less_than_or_equal_to..." (as mentioned in my 1st post). I couldn't read the full screen as the system shutdown soon.
===========================================================================

Waiting for your reply,

Regards,
Sandeep

sandeep3181

sandeep3181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear John

I have removed alcohol too. I have removed the SCSI/RAID host controller also and rebooted the system , however it did not reappear after the reboot. But my USB HDD is still showing up with 1 partitin in "my computer".

Please advice something, could i not delete manually all the extra drivers from system32/drivers other than that come after a fresh install of windows xp?

Regards,
Sandeep

sandeep3181

sandeep3181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear john,

I have removed the dtscsi.sys and scsi.sys from my system and disabled sptd.sys in the registry. (got this from some forums). Could you suggest some precautions, i should take in the future. The USB HDD is now being detected with all partitions. I would like my SCSI/RAID host controller installed again in the device manager please suggest how?

Regards,
Sandeep

sandeep3181

sandeep3181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear John,

The probelm occurred again , do let me know if you need anymore diagnostic data.

Regards,
Sandeep