Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie question - Installing a dvd drive

• Please log in to reply

Strange Little Boy

Strange Little Boy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've never built a computer or installed anything other than a USB card, so please bear with me. If there's a website/forum already explaining this in great detail, I would be most grateful if somebody would point me in that direction. Also, if this question has already posted, I apologize for any inconvenience I may cause.

My questions mainly regard the following models, although any advice would be appreciated:
Computer brand and model: HP Pavilion Media Center m8000n
Drive brand and model: HP Dvd1040i-H16
Drive serial number: 304734430590
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium

I recently bought an internal dvd drive for my pc thinking that installing it would be a piece of cake. Of course, I've discovered there's a bit more to it than just matching slots. The computer itself is only a few months old, maybe 8 months.

I looked in the manuals for both the computer and the dvd drive for help, but the computer manual doesn't say anything about upgrading, and the instructions given in dvd drive manual are rather vague. I've also done research on the internet and haven't been able to find anything particularly helpful.

First of all, can I install the DVD drive by removing the side only the side panel, or do I need to remove more? The side panel is the only part that removes easily and I'm wary of damaging the casing if I try to remove anything else. I'm also not sure of how to remove the metal cover plate of the expansion bay. It looks like you need to remove some of the hardware to get it out.

Second, are the necessary cables generally included with store bought computers, or are they purchased seperately? When I look inside, I can't really tell which cables go where and if there are extras since removing the side panel only gives me a limited view.

Once I do get the cables, where do I connect them in the computer? The drive manual does tell how they are connected to the dvd drive, but not the computer.

Help!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Unfortunately, this question is answered by more than the information you have given us...

What exact internal DVD Drive (make and model, if you please) did you purchase?

Cheers

Troy